Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Roof rack rattle

Reactions
Has anyone had a rattle that appears to be coming from the passenger front roof rack rail? It is mainly audible around 60-70mph it seems. It could be the moonroof but I think it's the rack rail plastic trim pieces. Are these pieces fastened under the headliner?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I am fairly sure there is hardware under the headliner pertaining to the roof rack. A few members on this forum have removed the roof rack and documented the process.
I am sure someone else will soon provide more info.

OP
L
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
I'll have to try to find how to remove the headliner and go through the hardware. It's getting pretty annoying.

Reactions
I have a similar experience. Rattle sound coming from the roof, when I looked around it looks like my roof rail delete, just the flat pieces that covers where the roof rack would be, was loose. Next time its in for service I will have them fix it because I don't know how it should be secured, but the rattle was from the very front driver side not being secure at all. It would wag like a dogs tail left and right at the speeds you are having your issue.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Has anyone had a rattle that appears to be coming from the passenger front roof rack rail? It is mainly audible around 60-70mph it seems. It could be the moonroof but I think it's the rack rail plastic trim pieces. Are these pieces fastened under the headliner?
I had to finish snapping mine in place when I got my new Ford Explorer ST !!
It didn’t look rite and had a huge gap so I got up on a step ladder and fishing snapping it in place properly !!!
I remember when I use to work assembly in Saint Paul Minnesota on the F-series and Ranger line in the mid 80’s, Ford use to turn the line up to get more units out the door that’s when the UAW use to step in, because quality use to fall to shit in a hand basket over loading the jobs workers had a hard time keeping up with the line speed !!
I was under bottom sealer at the time in the paint building yeah I use to work my ass off in the long run it was worth it….
Thank god for the UAW they did a lot for us line workers :)

Jbsmith

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford explorer limited
I have a similar experience. Rattle sound coming from the roof, when I looked around it looks like my roof rail delete, just the flat pieces that covers where the roof rack would be, was loose. Next time its in for service I will have them fix it because I don't know how it should be secured, but the rattle was from the very front driver side not being secure at all. It would wag like a dogs tail left and right at the speeds you are having your issue.

SR56

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I've noticed on mine the plastic trim in front of the rails is pretty loose. I haven't heard it making a rattle noise but since it can move and get I into the wind it might be some of my wind noise.

The plastic trim on the two front rails, the two back rails, and on my driver side window is all loose-ish. Those ones in the back almost look warped, kind of curling up slightly.

It's the only real trim issues I've seen on mine but all have potential to make noise.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST PHEV MY22
On mine it was fine until the dealer tried to improve the placement of the the "weathering strip"?? Under the rail itself. Now it rattles...