Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Rollaway Recall

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
https://fordauthority.com/2023/02/2020-2022-ford-explorer-recalled-over-vehicle-rollaway-risk/

Ford Motor Company is recalling select 2020-2022 Ford Explorer models over a vehicle rollaway risk.

The defect: in affected vehicles, an unintentional powertrain control module (PCM) reset may occur while the vehicle is in motion and result in park system damage.

The hazards: a park system that is damaged may not shift into park, resulting in a vehicle rollaway and increasing the risk of injury or crash.

Ford is not aware of any accidents or injuries related to this issue.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
At least, less than 4000 vehicles affected. (fingers crossed)

2manycars4me

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Durango SRT Hellcat
For vehicles equipped with the 2.3L and 10R60 transmissions. Don't think the ST falls under this recall. I've had more recalls on this vehicle than the last 7 vehicles combined.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
For vehicles equipped with the 2.3L and 10R60 transmissions. Don't think the ST falls under this recall. I've had more recalls on this vehicle than the last 7 vehicles combined.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgor...t-and-fewest-recalls-in-2022/?sh=1a9d7b8d7cb9

I'm inclined to believe that Ford is more readily willing to issue a recall and fix something than some other mfgs. I've had chronic issues in other vehicles that light the forums on fire and the mfg refuses to acknowledge there is anything wrong.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgor...t-and-fewest-recalls-in-2022/?sh=1a9d7b8d7cb9

I'm inclined to believe that Ford is more readily willing to issue a recall and fix something than some other mfgs. I've had chronic issues in other vehicles that light the forums on fire and the mfg refuses to acknowledge there is anything wrong.
You also have to consider the severity of the issues. Ford is recalling minor things like backup cameras showing a blue screen. Kia refused to recall the Tellurides when their windshields and sunroofs were breaking/shattering.

OP
Jeppo
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Thread Starter #7

I wanted a Mini Cooper since I was a young kid. When BMW introduced theirs, I immediately ordered one. From the git-go, owners complained about a whining sound from the power steering. BMW claimed it was normal and not an issue.

Fast forward maybe 15 years or more after the first production, a recall was issued calling for inspection of the power steering pump. When I took mine in, they inspected and replaced the pump. I asked the service advisor whether they’d ever inspected one that didn’t require replacing.

”Never”. :ROFLMAO:

2manycars4me

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Durango SRT Hellcat
I could go on about all the troubles and the Lemon buyback from GM. Any manufacturer will attempt to do what they can to either delay or not do a recall. The recalls from Ford are for a large range of vehicles and brought on by customer complaints to the DOT. I've had some very high end vehicles from GM which were horrible for quality. GM and their issues with Cylinder Deactivation, 8 Speed transmission issues and the LSA blower failures were some of the big issues with the vehicles.
What Ford has and admits to, is a quality control crisis. The back up cameras, as much as we think this is a trivial thing, is driven by the US Government for safety. How much of an uproar over the rear bolts, not an issue is it? How come we have the warranty for 10 years on the rear then? Another attempt to push off the repairs and save millions. If they can get away with it they will.

SeaRay

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer AWD Limited Hybrid
https://fordauthority.com/2023/02/2020-2022-ford-explorer-recalled-over-vehicle-rollaway-risk/

Ford Motor Company is recalling select 2020-2022 Ford Explorer models over a vehicle rollaway risk.

The defect: in affected vehicles, an unintentional powertrain control module (PCM) reset may occur while the vehicle is in motion and result in park system damage.

The hazards: a park system that is damaged may not shift into park, resulting in a vehicle rollaway and increasing the risk of injury or crash.

Ford is not aware of any accidents or injuries related to this issue.
This is a f-ing joke and going to get someone Killed when the Auto Parking brake is activated due to the BS 22R27 recall ......Parking system damage would mean the BCM put it in park while vehicle is moving .....so one would expect the AUTO PARKING BRAKE would also be activated.

This the same reason why ford recalled 22R27 not to fix the bolt but to cover their a$$e$ if the bolt broke and the vehicle rolled away when parked.

Last edited: