Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Road Paint removal

Reactions
Anyone know how I can remove white road paint on plastic trim and wheel well of my 22 ST? I went to the local automotive store, and the guy recommended something. Looked at the back label and it’s clearly said ” do not use on plastic.” So much for expert advice.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I’d try to find out what actual kind of paint it is first. That might narrow down what products will work. Ask a body shop too…they probably deal with it from time to time.

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
if its DOT stuff , it has alot of plastics in it
is it DRIED completely?
you may be able to get a plastic razor blade and peel it off, especially if the plastic had some protectant on it
try mildest means first
HOT soapy water, soft cloth
or wd 40 on a cloth and saturate the paint, then try how soapy water again
you can use acetone, CAREFULLY wipe in one direction and do not over saturate the area, followed by HOT SOAPY water and rinse
mineral spirits may also work, again do not over saturate and rinse with hot soapy water followed by clear water rinse

OP
DudeMasterson
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
I’d try to find out what actual kind of paint it is first. That might narrow down what products will work. Ask a body shop too…they probably deal with it from time to time.
Thanks! I’ll try to find out what the DOT uses….

OP
DudeMasterson
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
if its DOT stuff , it has alot of plastics in it
is it DRIED completely?
you may be able to get a plastic razor blade and peel it off, especially if the plastic had some protectant on it
try mildest means first
HOT soapy water, soft cloth
or wd 40 on a cloth and saturate the paint, then try how soapy water again
you can use acetone, CAREFULLY wipe in one direction and do not over saturate the area, followed by HOT SOAPY water and rinse
mineral spirits may also work, again do not over saturate and rinse with hot soapy water followed by clear water rinse
Thanks so much !

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
I had some luck using mineral spirits. I wouldn't use acetone on the plastic though. If you do you have to be quick to remove it or it will start to soften the plastic.