Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Reverse Emergency Braking Assist

Reactions
Can't seem to get this to work. I went to dealer today and we set up pylons the parking lot and it would not activate. Has anyone else experienced problems with this? All systems are activated so that isn't the problem.

Thanks

hbalek

Reactions
I've had the opposite problem and so have others. It activates when you're backing up thinking you're gonna hit something. It scares the crap out of you. It feels like you did hit something. With the blue rear camera issue and reverse brake assist not available message there is a recall which I recently had done.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
If they manage to get it functioning…

buy a neck brace. ;)

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I have had no issues with mine. I had it activate once when I was backing up and there was a pile of fresh snow behind me. It worked for sure. Almost made me crap myself haha it’s such a jarring experience.

Reactions
I'm not convinced ours is working. I've backed up pretty close to stuff, like in a tight parking spot...and nothing engages. The beeping goes to a solid tone, but that is it. The braking is turned on in the settings. Are there other parameters that must be met for it to activate? Like certain speed or something?

Same with forward braking, doing 3 point turns I've come very close to an object in front and nothing happens to brake the car.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I'm not convinced ours is working. I've backed up pretty close to stuff, like in a tight parking spot...and nothing engages. The beeping goes to a solid tone, but that is it. The braking is turned on in the settings. Are there other parameters that must be met for it to activate? Like certain speed or something?

Same with forward braking, doing 3 point turns I've come very close to an object in front and nothing happens to brake the car.
The car is smart. When you’re actually paying attention when driving, your foot is between the gas and brake. Alternating. If that’s happening as you approach things, it doesn’t need to activate it. At least that’s what I’ve figured out in my experience. I can never activate these things on purpose because I wouldn’t ever let it get that close. Just human nature. But if the car sense you’re not paying attention, it will activate.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
May not be going fast enough. Requires a speed of one to seven mph.

Reactions
The car is smart. When you’re actually paying attention when driving, your foot is between the gas and brake. Alternating. If that’s happening as you approach things, it doesn’t need to activate it. At least that’s what I’ve figured out in my experience. I can never activate these things on purpose because I wouldn’t ever let it get that close. Just human nature. But if the car sense you’re not paying attention, it will activate.
Makes sense!

Reactions
I feel the same way with the adaptive cruise control. Its supposed to slow to a stop but my butt puckers before I allow it to do it on its own. Oddly enough, if someone changes lanes and you have plenty of room from them, the car stops way harder and sooner than I would normally. The car may be smart, but it doesn't drive like we drive our vehicles so its a little sketchy sometimes.

Nikkicole

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
If they manage to get it functioning…

buy a neck brace. ;)
Legit just happened in a parking lot where my husband took his foot off the gas and break in reverse because he’s used to coasting in his 95 Bronco. It stopped so sudden I was convinced he hit a brick wall, and my neck is sore and tight like whiplash. Glad he didn’t hit the car tho?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
If they figure out why it’s not working let me know…I’d love to make mine not work too.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Legit just happened in a parking lot where my husband took his foot off the gas and break in reverse because he’s used to coasting in his 95 Bronco. It stopped so sudden I was convinced he hit a brick wall, and my neck is sore and tight like whiplash. Glad he didn’t hit the car tho?
It’s happened at least 3 times to me. The first two was slowly backing out of the garage. Both times, I jumped out to access the damage. I was sure I’d hit the wall hard enough to bring it down around me. The third time was parking at a restaurant with a group of friends watching and laughing hysterically.

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
I turned it off because the driveway slopes one way & the street slopes the opposite way. It thought I was going to crash into the asphalt road surface when backing off the driveway onto the street.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
When I went to the ST experience, when we did the emergency braking exercise the instructor said that if you make any small changes in the steering wheel or throttle or brake the system thinks your paying attention and will not activate. My best guess, the reverse emergency braking works the same.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
When I went to the ST experience, when we did the emergency braking exercise the instructor said that if you make any small changes in the steering wheel or throttle or brake the system thinks your paying attention and will not activate. My best guess, the reverse emergency braking works the same.
Yeah that makes sense. I have a feeling most people just back up too quick and aren’t putting in much feedback to the system so the computer things they’re not paying attention.

hbalek

Reactions
I've learned to back up gently and it does fine for me. The first 2 times it happened I literally thought I hit my neighbor's car.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
The car is absolutely not smart. Just a few days after buying my 2021 ST I went to back down my driveway (very slight slope, and about 3 car lengths in length from neighborhood road) and right after I started backing up, with my foot slightly touching the brake pedal, I see a car about to drive by, still, no where near the end of my driveway I’m going to back up to the end of it, but the rear brake assist activates and violently throws my dog into the back tailgate, also feels like i actually hit something or like my rear differential separated from the subframe it was so abrupt, and I’m still at least 2 car lengths from the end of my driveway. I didn’t know what happened at first. It was violent. Totally unnecessary. And I felt horrible about my dog. But dog or no dog it was unacceptable. I immediately turned that feature off and every other brake assist. So far, in the few months I’ve had the car it has also given me forward collision warnings on multiple occasions when it shouldn’t, like driving around a bend and car is sitting in a left turn lane or something, and I just know that if I had the active brake assist (for forward collision assist) turned on it would be slamming on my brakes for no good reason. I absolutely hate when technology makes a car more unsafe and difficult to operate. Just like I hate having to hit a touchscreen to adjust my A/C while I’m driving. Just give me physical buttons and dials please. How much am I paying for all these features I don’t use (or want to use) but don’t have the option of choosing to not have. Also, Ford made the interior of the ST so cheap, I hear so much creaking and rattling from the car when driving on highway or going around turns or over bumps it’s ridiculous. I don’t expect it to be a Rolls Royce but my ‘22 base model Hyundai Tucson is built more solid and drives more smooth than this thing. Like it’s not even close.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The car is absolutely not smart. Just a few days after buying my 2021 ST I went to back down my driveway (very slight slope, and about 3 car lengths in length from neighborhood road) and right after I started backing up, with my foot slightly touching the brake pedal, I see a car about to drive by, still, no where near the end of my driveway I’m going to back up to the end of it, but the rear brake assist activates and violently throws my dog into the back tailgate, also feels like i actually hit something or like my rear differential separated from the subframe it was so abrupt, and I’m still at least 2 car lengths from the end of my driveway. I didn’t know what happened at first. It was violent. Totally unnecessary. And I felt horrible about my dog. But dog or no dog it was unacceptable. I immediately turned that feature off and every other brake assist. So far, in the few months I’ve had the car it has also given me forward collision warnings on multiple occasions when it shouldn’t, like driving around a bend and car is sitting in a left turn lane or something, and I just know that if I had the active brake assist (for forward collision assist) turned on it would be slamming on my brakes for no good reason. I absolutely hate when technology makes a car more unsafe and difficult to operate. Just like I hate having to hit a touchscreen to adjust my A/C while I’m driving. Just give me physical buttons and dials please. How much am I paying for all these features I don’t use (or want to use) but don’t have the option of choosing to not have. Also, Ford made the interior of the ST so cheap, I hear so much creaking and rattling from the car when driving on highway or going around turns or over bumps it’s ridiculous. I don’t expect it to be a Rolls Royce but my ‘22 base model Hyundai Tucson is built more solid and drives more smooth than this thing. Like it’s not even close.
1. It’s a computer on wheels. It is.
2. Computers aren’t perfect and screw up. False activations of the rear backup aren’t uncommon. I think it’s sensitive but probably for a reason. I do wish they gave you a way to adjust the sensitivity like the do with the forward collision system. Mine maybe has done it once or twice? Either slow down, keep your foot lightly on the brake as your drift backwards, or have your car evaluated by the service dept.
3. I know that exact scenario. I bet you have your system set to high sensitivity. As soon as I turn mine down to moderate/medium sensitivity, those instances are nearly eliminated. Between my current explorer and my previous 17 explorer with same feature set of forward collision auto braking, I have never once had the system just slam on my brakes. Nearly 100k miles of driving combined vehicles. Not once. You’re being dramatic. The system warning is going off. Alerting you. It doesn’t mean it’s 100% going to activate the brakes. It will only do that it no user input is detected or if your nearly 5k pound suv continues to approach another mass product at a constant rate of speed with imminent collision.
4. I agree give me Physical knobs. Which the explorer has. The only thing you can’t adjust via knobs is the direction of airflow. Everything else is adjustable by physical buttons. I do run auto mode quite a bit though.
5. Sorry you’re unhappy. Sounds like you didn’t do your research and a proper/long enough test drive.

Last edited: