Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

RESOLVED: Clicking: P to D (video)

Reactions
Mine started doing this just last week P to R and sometimes hear during 1 to 2 shifts.
I will have the dealer check it out too. Thanks for thread.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Reactions
I just had this fixed, they had to grease the rear axle splines where it goes into the hub and the clicking sound is gone.

Liquid

Reactions
Just got mine back from the dealer for this loud "clink" or metallic popping noise heard outside the car during parking maneuvers and low speed hilly driving. Replaced Axle Assembly Rear (L1MZ-4000-D) which is $868 retail; thankfully I'm still under warranty.

Technician notes on my receipt:
Check Oasis no TSB GSB SSM applicable. Connected chassis ears to vehicle, on transfer case and on rear differential. Transfer case quiet, rear differential has noises. Necessary to perform inspection on differential. Inspection determined replacement necessary. Removed and replaced rear axle assembly. Retested, verified okay at this time. Operation 1007d and 1007dxq applicable. No slts operation available for replacement of axle assembly, 4.5 M time claimed. Causal 4000 cc 01

cagilber

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Glad to see someone figure this out. I had a 2020 model with the same issue and was told there was nothing they could do about it and it was "under warranty" so if something went wrong they would fix it.

Well...got rid of that one and bought a new one 2 years later. No noise, but the transmission exploded at 700 miles.

If this one starts doing it now I'll know what to tell them.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
If anyone is still seeking a possible solution to the clicking/clunking noise when shifting from Park to R or D, take a few minutes to watch this video. This guy seems to have both identified and fixed a common issue with 2020+ Explorers. It involves the CV axle and a simple solution. He also mentions an upcoming TSB.

2022+ Explorer Ping Fix

Last edited:

l1tech

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
This problem also plagues older Explorers as well as Nissan's. Gm has a synthetic grease that I used to use for lubing steering intermediate shafts due to clunking that is SUPER tacky that works well for solving this issue. You loosen the axle and push it in and apply the grease to the splines of the axle and then retourque it back to spec...no more noise. This grease also works very well for trucks that have driveshaft clunk when the driveshaft unloads after taking your foot off of the brake or a few seconds after you have come to a stop.

92onward

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Can someone who has gotten this fix give me a point of contact for their service bay please? My dealership absolutely doesn’t know what the hell they’re doing

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford
@jefferylay Took it to the dealer and they said some BS about there being a brake applied. When the gears switch from P to R the brake is released and thats the noise.....which is complete BS because it didnt happen until recently AND it also makes the same noise when rolling 1 to gear 2 and versa.

Im going to take it back soon and have the technician ride with me in a quiet setting.
Transmission had a roll back, or hill hold features. You maybe hearing this locking and unlocking in the trans

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
If anyone is still seeking a possible solution to the clicking/clunking noise when shifting from Park to R or D, take a few minutes to watch this video. This guy seems to have both identified and fixed a common issue with 2020+ Explorers. It involves the CV axle and a simple solution. He also mentions an upcoming TSB.

2022+ Explorer Ping Fix
this was a very similar thing with Nissan 370z (lol he JUUUST mentioned Nissan as I typed this) we had to take the nut off, lube the splines and then put it back on with a new crown nut

pine

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Sorry for the bump..

Got my bone stock 2020 ST with 40k having the same clicking issue (persistent since I bought it)

I provided the dealer with technician notes from this thread.

They replaced the "Intermediate shaft with updated half shaft", reset the AWD module, and said it was ready to go. The notes mentioned some BS with my trailer hitch making a noise (never noticed this, but obviously since the hitch doesn't fit like a glove it will have some play).

After this repair I'm still having the same issue, mainly on slow decel and downshifts at low speeds, occasionally when shifting from P to R or D.. On to another dealer.

Reactions
does anyone know the axle nut size? Ford P/N is LB5Z3B477A. These are single use nuts and should be replaced if removed.

EDIT: Axle nut size is 31mm for all of you DIY'ers #axlenut

Last edited:
Reactions

2022+ Explorer Ping Fix
GEEEEEEZUZ!!! my dealership has replaced all axel shafts 3 times!!
I just found this thread and forwarded the video. Sounds like a solution finally, thank you!!!!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
My car is popping in drive or reverse. Never head it before until after watching that video above.

When the weather get cooler, I will looking into grease up the axle spline. Easy Job.

What is the torque spec for the axel nut?