Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Replacing OEM Street Pack 21" with Geolandar XC-V

Reactions
My OEM 21" Scorpion Zeros finally wore down a little too close to the wear bars right at 30K miles. I had been researching the limited OEM 275/45 R21 choices and was down to the Michelin Pilot Sport, Geolandar XC-V, or just more Scorpion Zeros. The new Pirelli WeatherActives looked super interesting but currently unavailable in my area.

This is my first non-high ground clearance SUV in 30 years and I am used to nice sized BFG A/T KO tires. I admit to having bashed my pretty 21" ST rims into a few curbs, to which the Scorpions offered no resistance. The side wall of the Scorpion was almost flat with the rim and I could scratch the rim and barely the tire...

My actual tire needs outside of racing around town are mountain ski trips, fire roads to the range, and some curb bashing. So with no tires standing out and based purely on the TireRack ratings I ordered the Geolandars at my local small shop. When I showed up this morning there were a stack of delivered tires for the day and there were examples of all the above mentioned tires and more and I was able to touch and compare in person. The Geolandars seemed a bit chunkier and stickier than the rest which may not mean anything technically but they seemed closer to the BFG A/T also sitting there than my other choices which seemed more similar in build to true sports car tires.

Practically, the Geolandars offer a solid 0.20" extra clearance over the rim than the Scorpions. So we will see what happens with the occasional curb.

Anyways, that was my way too over thought new tire process. We will see how they work out in reality but I am feeling positive so far!

Pics below including my worn Scorpions with the foam noise reduction inside.

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions
Had to replace mine as well. Wanted the Geolander but had a trip scheduled and couldn't wait. I did the same research and came to the same conclusion. Unfortunately not available. Ended up going with Viredestein Quatrack. So far so good but interested in your impression of the Yokohamas. My ST is lowered so pretty much a highway queen.
Cheers.

mallthus

Reactions
That’s on my list too, but not until the spring. My Scorpions are at the wear bars but I left them on the wheels when I changed over to my winter 18” wheels and Nokians. I’m considering the Geolanders and the Vredesteins too, but I’m really looking at the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5, as I’m aiming to move to a dedicated summer tire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions
I am consiering the Michelin Pilot Sport (not sure which number series) and am looking for feedback. After the inner noise canceling coating on the Pirellis came apart and had to be removed due to insane out of balance vibrations (clumping of the inner peices), I am looking for similar tires with maybe better wet handling. I have about 19000 miles on the current tires and will have to order the 2i inch rubber as no one stocks that size here in any brand so I might get some good ones.

Reactions
I am consiering the Michelin Pilot Sport (not sure which number series) and am looking for feedback. After the inner noise canceling coating on the Pirellis came apart and had to be removed due to insane out of balance vibrations (clumping of the inner peices), I am looking for similar tires with maybe better wet handling. I have about 19000 miles on the current tires and will have to order the 2i inch rubber as no one stocks that size here in any brand so I might get some good ones.
only comment I can make beyond what I posted above is road noise. The tires I bought didn’t have the noise cancellation foam like the OEMs. Not terrible but noticeable I will say the tires I bought have very good wet traction. Found out when I was almost broad sided on the interstate at 60+ mph in the rain. “Distracted driver”. Crazy evasive move avoided what would’ve not ended well. Never lost control.

OP
D
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
The Geolandars performed well during the last round of storms where I was in a canyon and hit lots of standing and flowing mud and water at speed. They tracked well and never felt light. In fact, they felt like they tracked better than the BFG KO A/T's I was used to on my 4Runner.

Happier with my choice now!

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blaster7Romeo

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
What do you think a year later ? Looking to get a set of tires this week and was thinking of these