Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Replacing BU & Rear Turn Signal lights -> LED

minuteman3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Just spent literally about 10 minutes replacing the rear turn signal and backup lights with LEDs on our two-week old 2020 ST. Used Alla bulbs from Amazon as they carried a lot of 5-star reviews. Job was pretty easy ... here's what I did:

1. Remove this panel
IMG_1506.jpg
2. Here's the door. The little angled ridges point down ... doesn't work well using it any other way!! ;)
IMG_1508.jpg
3. Tools ... used the 11mm screwdriver to remove the only screw holding the lamp assembly in. The small screwdriver pried off the trim door easily and left no marks.
IMG_1509.jpg
4. The assembly pulls pretty much straight out at a ~90º angle from the side. But, it does take some pulling and minor moving up/down to finally spring it off. I used easy pressure ... not a yank. No damage was noted!! (The second one was a lot less "stressful")
IMG_1510.jpg
5. The two bulbs were easy to access.
IMG_1512.jpg
6. Just as easy to replace. Totally "plug & play".
IMG_1513.jpg
7. Unit just reverses back on. Takes a bit of firm pressure to lock everything. The video I watched show removing some trim pieces ... I didn't remove any and it was still easy. In fact it seemed to go back in easier with the trim still attached. Once the time pieces were back on, I started up and tried Reverse and the 4-way flasher. Worked perfectly!!
IMG_1516.jpg
IMG_1519.jpg

I choose to use Forscan to fix the hyper blink as I had experience using it on our '15 & '17 F-150's. But, that being said, I'm not much of a "hacker" and only changed two things. I told the rear tail lights I was using LEDs (thus stopping the hyper flash), and that I want to use "Bambi" mode which allows the fogs to remain on when the high beams are on. Here's my "as built" with the two mods listed.
Ken's ST Forscan Mods.jpg
All is working perfectly, no codes or warnings noted. Can't wait to go for a ride tonight and "see" what a difference this makes!!

By the way, I do have the replacement LED bulbs for the license plate lights, but when I tried to pry off the lens, it didn't want to budge with the small screwdriver and light amount of force I was using. I'll try again sometime, perhaps with a different screwdriver ... I sure didn't want to break anything!!

Cheers!!

Ken

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The plate lights pop out easy but the little tab is a locking tab...push it towards the bulb housing as you pry down.
Then go find the thread I started a few days ago showing how to flip the passenger side light so it actually shines on the plate. lol

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Just spent literally about 10 minutes replacing the rear turn signal and backup lights with LEDs on our two-week old 2020 ST. Used Alla bulbs from Amazon as they carried a lot of 5-star reviews. Job was pretty easy ... here's what I did:

1. Remove this panel
View attachment 1238
2. Here's the door. The little angled ridges point down ... doesn't work well using it any other way!! ;)
View attachment 1239
3. Tools ... used the 11mm screwdriver to remove the only screw holding the lamp assembly in. The small screwdriver pried off the trim door easily and left no marks.
View attachment 1240
4. The assembly pulls pretty much straight out at a ~90º angle from the side. But, it does take some pulling and minor moving up/down to finally spring it off. I used easy pressure ... not a yank. No damage was noted!! (The second one was a lot less "stressful")
View attachment 1241
View attachment 1242
View attachment 1243
7. Unit just reverses back on. Takes a bit of firm pressure to lock everything. The video I watched show removing some trim pieces ... I didn't remove any and it was still easy. In fact it seemed to go back in easier with the trim still attached. Once the time pieces were back on, I started up and tried Reverse and the 4-way flasher. Worked perfectly!!
View attachment 1244
View attachment 1245

I choose to use Forscan to fix the hyper blink as I had experience using it on our '15 & '17 F-150's. But, that being said, I'm not much of a "hacker" and only changed two things. I told the rear tail lights I was using LEDs (thus stopping the hyper flash), and that I want to use "Bambi" mode which allows the fogs to remain on when the high beams are on. Here's my "as built" with the two mods listed.
View attachment 1246
All is working perfectly, no codes or warnings noted. Can't wait to go for a ride tonight and "see" what a difference this makes!!

By the way, I do have the replacement LED bulbs for the license plate lights, but when I tried to pry off the lens, it didn't want to budge with the small screwdriver and light amount of force I was using. I'll try again sometime, perhaps with a different screwdriver ... I sure didn't want to break anything!!

Cheers!!

Ken
Great instructions. Thank you. Looking for them on amazon now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions

1. Remove this panel
View attachment 1238
View attachment 1239
View attachment 1240
View attachment 1241
View attachment 1242
View attachment 1243
View attachment 1244
View attachment 1245

View attachment 1246

Cheers!!

Ken
So many of them. Do you have the part numbers from amazon?

OP
minuteman3

minuteman3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
So many of them. Do you have the part numbers from amazon?

Here you go!! The backup light looks a bit weird, but seems to work perfectly!!
LED Lights.jpg

Cheers!!

Ken

OP
minuteman3

minuteman3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
FOLLOW UP: went for a ride late last evening and everything seemed to work perfectly!! Although the bulb for the backup lights looks a bit weird, in practice it's really nice light. I'd estimate at least twice as much light as the stock bulbs. The amber turn signal bulbs are also perfect (once the code is set via Forscan to eliminate the hyper-flash) and, if anything, are a bit too bright!! Which, considering the murky, rainy weather we have 300 days a year ... is not a bad thing!!

The only oddity I noticed was I had to move the light switch from AUTO to ON, then back to AUTO for the automatic headlamps to work properly. I suspect it may have something to do with changing the code for the fog lights/high beams to stay on together, perhaps it reset the module in some way. Once I did that manual change ... all worked perfectly!!

Happy Explorin'

Ken

Reactions
Anybody replace the brake lights with red led's?

Reactions
Any reason not to replace the turn signals with Red leds? I think it would look better.
In order for the turn signals to look right in red, I think they’d need to match the red brake lights. Might be tough to do since the brake light lenses are red.

Reactions
I don't like the rear amber signal lights, and I've never had good luck with LED 'replacement' bulbs.

Instead, I just used Forscan to disable the rear amber signal lights altogether,
and then changed the brake light mode to combination brake/signal.

Now the LED brake lights do dual function as both the brake and signal lights.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

GBVx

Reactions
I don't like the rear amber signal lights, and I've never had good luck with LED 'replacement' bulbs.

Instead, I just used Forscan to disable the rear amber signal lights altogether,
and then changed the brake light mode to combination brake/signal.

Now the LED brake lights do dual function as both the brake and signal lights.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Can you post the forescan data for that?

Reactions
Can you post the forescan data for that?
It was all point and click, no modification needed in the As Built file.

I made the changes in the BdyCM Module Configuration menu, which is below the BdyCM (AS BUILT) Format menu.

Scroll down until you find the left and right rear turn signal items. Double click on them and select disable.

Find the left and right brake light items. Double click on them and change them from brake only to brake and turn signal.

Write the changes and test to make sure they're functioning.

Reactions
Reactions
If I just replace the reverse lights with LED, is there anything I have to do with Forescan? I've never used it and don't have the software or adapter at this time.

It looks like perhaps they changed the way the LEDs look? Don't look quite so odd. :)
https://www.amazon.com/Alla-Lightin...=alla+lighting+led+7440&qid=1622261985&sr=8-6
You shouldn't need to, the change I made with FORScan was specifically for the turn signals if I remember correctly. Don't worry too much about the design of the bulb, you can't really see them once they are installed.

Reactions
If I just replace the reverse lights with LED, is there anything I have to do with Forescan? I've never used it and don't have the software or adapter at this time
If anything, it will pop up a "behind the scenes" code that you won't see anywhere on the dash, only on a computer program when it thinks the reverse lights are out. If a dealer saw it, they'd check the bulb and realize it's LED and just ignore it. It won't affect anything else.

If you're looking for other bulb choices, I bought mine from https://www.diodedynamics.com/. They have a lot of options for your desired brightness level.