Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Removal of Diff brace for rear axel bolt recall?

paSTa

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Do I need to remove my ID speed brace prior to bringing it in for the axel bolt recall? I know they'll still do the work for free because its a recall but I assume they'd charge labor for removal and install of the brace if they had too.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
That's a no-brainer. The dealer may even refuse to touch your aftermarket brace to do the recall.

Reactions
I just had mine done. Left brace on. Everything reinstalled correctly. That being said, one of my best friends owns the dealership so I could potentially be getting preferential treatment. Your mileage may vary.

Also- the video of on here of the bushing change etc that is posted where the subframe was fully removed etc is not how ford is doing it. They are unbolting the diff and dropping it down a bit and then doing the bushing. Nothing is actually coming off of the vehicle.

Reactions
Mine goes in Wednesday. I will remove the Diff brace prior, to avoid any issues. Thanks for the information Mr.Biggles (hahaha). I had anxiety about them revoving my Thermal exhaust and not putting it back as I had it.

Tommy

Reactions
I did too about my exhaust. They didn’t touch it. So no worries there. You’re welcome!

Reactions
Isn't all they are doing is adding a stiffer bolt?

OP
P

paSTa

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
Just spoke with my dealership they’re going to take take care of it with the brace still on, said they would remove and reinstall

Reactions
Depending on the brace it doesn't take long to remove and add back. Also depending on the delership it may be best to avoid any questions.

Tommy

Reactions
Picked up car and both recalls were completed in one day. The rear bushing and the rear camera recall. Thermal exhaust never touched. Truck came back as clean as it went in. Now to add the diff mount back for piece of mind. Al Packer Ford west in west Palm beach did the work. Very satisfied with the work but still a bit disappointed in Ford that the correct subframe for my VIN was not installed in Chicago.

Tommy

OP
P

paSTa

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #11
FYI, got this done last week was a 1 day turn around and no issues whatsoever. They also completely replaced my rear view camera unit which seems to have gotten rid of the blue screen that was happening on occasion. Happy Ford was able to do the work with the car being modified!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I removed my brace before taking in for recall but that doesn't guarantee they still can't screw things up and forget to re-fill your rear diff with fluid :oops:

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I removed my brace before taking in for recall but that doesn't guarantee they still can't screw things up and forget to re-fill your rear diff with fluid :oops:
Why would they drain your differential?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
For whatever reason it was in the service order for recall repair!

I can tell you that the Billings Dealership Archie Cochrane Ford is gotta be one of the worst service centers in the country. Picked it up on Saturday and they caved in my frame rails as they didn't use the factory lift points, warranty items not completed, greasy handprints all over the interior, and gouge in my front Waido spoiler. That's just what I found with a quick walk around. Will see what else I find when able to get it up on my lift. Hell, maybe it didn't need to be drained for all I know since they all seem to be morons.
20240223_041115.jpg

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder

I can tell you that the Billings Dealership Archie Cochrane Ford is gotta be one of the worst service centers in the country. Picked it up on Saturday and they caved in my frame rails as they didn't use the factory lift points, warranty items not completed, greasy handprints all over the interior, and gouge in my front Waido spoiler. That's just what I found with a quick walk around. Will see what else I find when able to get it up on my lift. Hell, maybe it didn't need to be drained for all I know since they all seem to be morons.
View attachment 21957
Who'd have thought?

OP
P

paSTa

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #16

View attachment 21957
Very odd, didn’t think the recall required that. diff fluid wasn’t touched on mine

Reactions
That is unbelievable. The variation in quality throughout all organizations in this country is staggering. I asked the service manager to meet the tech that would be working on the vehicle. Super nice young man but gave him $50 and said it is the little things that make the biggest difference. Why do this? From my experience the old saying holds true. Money talks and BS walks. I would stay away from that dealer.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Seems like dealer's are using different procedures to replace the bushing. Did Ford not come out with instructions for replacing the bushing for dealer's to follow?

OP
P

paSTa

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #19
That is unbelievable. The variation in quality throughout all organizations in this country is staggering. I asked the service manager to meet the tech that would be working on the vehicle. Super nice young man but gave him $50 and said it is the little things that make the biggest difference. Why do this? From my experience the old saying holds true. Money talks and BS walks. I would stay away from that dealer.
This. It’s harder said than done but finding a dealership with a cool service manager is the key to any new vehicle these days unfortunately. And as said above, treating the techs well goes along way

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
What did you take your St in for ? Was it the rear diff bolt recall ? and the camera ??

Explorer ST Posts