Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Remote Features Disabled - almost daily notice

Reactions
Hi,

About every other day I get the “remote features disabled” notification in the Ford app even if I have driven the ST in the last 12 hours. I’ve checked the lights, they are on auto, looked at night to see if any internal light are on, nope. Maybe a weak battery?

Searched around and did not find much.

Anyone else had this issue? Thoughts?

Thanks.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer Platinum
Experienced the same issue on Tuesday morning. Is it a coincidence that FordPass has an update for Horn & Lights?
I tried the new function, Horn & Lights, Monday evening 3 times and Tuesday morning I have the 'remote features disabled' warning on FordPass.
I remember last year the app was causing battery issues.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
I called Ford about the remote features disabled warning and they said that if I don't drive far and long enough to charge the battery then as a safety measure the app will be disconnected. I stopped worrying about it and maybe I'm driving further now because I haven't been getting it as much. Plus I updated the app. That might help.

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
I called Ford about the remote features disabled warning and they said that if I don't drive far and long enough to charge the battery then as a safety measure the app will be disconnected. I stopped worrying about it and maybe I'm driving further now because I haven't been getting it as much. Plus I updated the app. That might help.
if your battery falls below 12.6 volts Ford pass app will send you a remote features disabled message.

hbalek

Reactions
if your battery falls below 12.6 volts Ford pass app will send you a remote features disabled message.
Mine needed a new battery at less than 1.5 years or 19,000 miles.

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
Mine needed a new battery at less than 1.5 years or 19,000 miles.
I have my original battery … my vehicle will be three years old in August I’ve never had any problems

hbalek

Reactions
I have my original battery … my vehicle will be three years old in August I’ve never had any problems
Lucky you! I have a 11/19 build with new fuel pump at 11,000 miles, new battery at 18,500, new clutch and back camera at 25,000 miles and new rear glass due to peeling defroster element. I have no mods and drive gently daily rarely going over 75 mph.

OP
Bryantbjb
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
Thanks all for the feedback.

_ATX_

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Thanks all for the feedback.
I know this is an old thread, but did you ever resolve this? I'm wondering if a battery replacement under warranty would solve it for me. I've been dealing with this for a few weeks, and my 3/36 warranty is expiring in a few months.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I know this is an old thread, but did you ever resolve this? I'm wondering if a battery replacement under warranty would solve it for me. I've been dealing with this for a few weeks, and my 3/36 warranty is expiring in a few months.
Get a new battery. Duralast Platinum AGM size 48. $249 with $22 refundable core charge. Done.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I can't believe that I'm recommending you take a look at this, but Walmart offers a Group size 48/H6 AGM battery with a 4-year warranty, for $180. (most others are a 3-year warranty), their policy is a no questions asked warranty for carry in batteries. I have not used this product, so take it for what it's worth, it just seems to be the most bang for the buck. Costco will sell you an Interstate battery with a 3-year warranty for $10 less.

_ATX_

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Is it worth taking it to the dealer to get Ford to cover the new battery under warranty? We're still under warranty (purchased in Oct 2021 and less than 30k miles). If the battery tests bad they should replace it, right?

If I can't get the dealer to replace...I just looked at the Costco battery - their 36 month warranty is limited, and the fine print says you get a prorated refund. So it looks like the extra $10 at Walmart would be a better deal since it's 48 months free replacement.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Is it worth taking it to the dealer to get Ford to cover the new battery under warranty? We're still under warranty (purchased in Oct 2021 and less than 30k miles). If the battery tests bad they should replace it, right?
If it's free, it's worth it. That said, don't be surprised if they tell you it's a good battery.

I see this frequently on the truck forum. People take their word for it, problem continues, take their word for it again, problem still exists, new battery, problem solved.

Last edited:

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I have had 3 batteries since April 22
Fir my 22 f150
The latest ford bcm update seems to have fixed it
Plus..if truck sits for 5 days
I set it up on the charger
To bring it up

Our 23 explorer we recently purchased new
I have had it sit for a week and no issues
Although after a week battery was 68 state of charge.
And I noticed in forscsn it's set to charge to 90% by the vehicle system

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
The only way I can keep the battery topped up (enough to avoid the Ford Pass power down and keep Auto Start Stop functioning) is to drive the ST for several hundred miles or keep it on a trickle charger. If it sits for one day, it’s kaput.

_ATX_

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
The only way I can keep the battery topped up (enough to avoid the Ford Pass power down and keep Auto Start Stop functioning) is to drive the ST for several hundred miles or keep it on a trickle charger. If it sits for one day, it’s kaput.
How long ago did your start having this issue? Have you tried a new battery?

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
How long ago did your start having this issue? Have you tried a new battery?
The ‘01 ST will be three years old this September and currently has ~ 16,000 miles. I’ve suffered through this issue for most of the vehicle’s life. As was mentioned above, when the dealer tests the battery, they tell me it’s perfectly fine and give me the rhetoric about needing to drive it more and for longer.

During the last service (oil change and rear bolt/camera recalls), I complained again. They called to say they discovered an aftermarket accessory connected to the battery and therefore would charge a diagnostic fee. What was that accessory? The simple NOCO extension cable that makes it easier for me to connect the Genius 1 because the blinking charging system/battery doesn’t work. :mad:

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
By the way @_ATX_ are you sure you want your home address shown in your profile? Nice house! ;)

_ATX_

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
By the way @_ATX_ are you sure you want your home address shown in your profile? Nice house! ;)
I had no idea! Thanks for the heads up!

Haggis27

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Hi,

About every other day I get the “remote features disabled” notification in the Ford app even if I have driven the ST in the last 12 hours. I’ve checked the lights, they are on auto, looked at night to see if any internal light are on, nope. Maybe a weak battery?

Searched around and did not find much.

Anyone else had this issue? Thoughts?

Thanks.
I have the same problem with a 2020, dealer said battery needs to be replaced, first things to go is remote use and auto start/stop, also any one know if there is an auxiliary battery in the rear drivers side panel or is that only on the police interceptor