Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Rear Shocks

Stoffius

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Have you noticed a difference in the ride quality? The roads where I live are horrendous and need to be repaved but instead it’s patch after patch. Driving over those makes the car feel cheap and I’m wondering if mine need replacing as well. Going to check when it’s dry.

Bones

Reactions
I got the new shocks installed this morning (part numbers matched up) and the old ones were leaking, not just seaping. I had no reason or need to "hold the flag" as the instructions pointed out. Thanks for the heads up @Cdubya , it was much much easier than I even expected [wrenchin].

This was the drivers side.
View attachment 14133

Showing the leak on both side by side.
View attachment 14134
Please let us know if your new shock leak. This happened to me as well. Looking for different shocks now.

Reactions
I just picked up a used 2020 with 20k miles on it. The driver's side rear shock was leaking.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Mine were both weeping a bit when I lowered it with 27K miles. Annoying, but replaced them super cheap from Rock Auto.

HotrodHR

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer, 2022 F-150, 2007 Mustang GT
I know this is an old thread... but here goes anyway. Took my wife's 2021 Explorer in to Ford for an oil change a couple of weeks ago (Quick Lane), and they pointed out to me that one of her rear shocks was leaking. Dropped it off today at the main service department and I just got a text from the service writer and he's quoting $610 to repair for both shocks. This vehicle has low miles well under 36K is this covered by warranty and/or are there any tech bulletins out there on this?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I doubt it’s a warranty item but that’s 100% rape on the price.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Rear shocks are $100 each. Once the wheel is off, it takes 20 minutes per side to replace. And that 20 minutes includes a trip to the fridge and figuring out what beer you want. Based on the price they're charging you, I'm assuming the guys at that dealer drink Bud Light.

More Information for MOTORCRAFT ASH86014 (rockauto.com)

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Easy driveway job. Go for it, you feel great saving $400 when you're finished.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
The dealer has been the only one to do oil changes so far, and the multipoint inspection from picking up the ST in May (first time after the long stint there) showed all good. And this was maybe 1500 miles later doing the first oil change on this engine.

I find it odd that both went at the same time as well, but in looking up replacement shocks I found a post on explorerforum.com where a person (also an ST) had both rear leaking as well, and they had stock springs.

I didn't check their charge, but can do that tomorrow since they are still out in the garage right now and report back how they are.
Going in to the dealer tomorrow to get my right rear shock replaced. It’s leaking. Different dealership I go to for maintenance saw it when doing a tire rotation for me and showed it to me. I have stock springs. Car is 2 years old, 45,000 miles. Steeda is probably higher quality than motorcraft IMHO.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Going in to the dealer tomorrow to get my right rear shock replaced. It’s leaking. Different dealership I go to for maintenance saw it when doing a tire rotation for me and showed it to me. I have stock springs. Car is 2 years old, 45,000 miles. Steeda is probably higher quality than motorcraft IMHO.
The “Steeda” shocks and struts for this car ARE Motorcraft. Read their fine print.

Reactions
It’s been brought up many times: get the PIU shocks. They are a perfect replacement for the ST versions and aren’t expensive at all. With the matching thicker sway bar, it’s a great combo to cut down on the under-steer.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
It’s been brought up many times: get the PIU shocks. They are a perfect replacement for the ST versions and aren’t expensive at all. With the matching thicker sway bar, it’s a great combo to cut down on the under-steer.
Someone sent brand new ST and PIU shocks and struts to a shock dyno to answer that question once and for all. Results aren’t back yet.

Reactions
Yep, saw that. Not holding my breath for results.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
The “Steeda” shocks and struts for this car ARE Motorcraft. Read their fine print.
I suppose that makes sense. Don’t have time to read all the fine print on everything all the time. I just saw the Steeda label on “their” shocks. Knew the description was that they were of equal performance to the STs original shocks, no explanation of it being the same exact thing. Figured companies set themselves up for lawsuits by rebadging a different product. There must have been some agreement with Ford/Motorcraft. Either way, I ordered PIU rear shocks today because the dealership tried to charge me almost $800 to replace my back two with originals.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
As Unbroken mentioned above, I'm waiting for something other than "I've spent some money, it must be better" or "my seat of the pants, tells me they're better", reports on the PI vs. ST shocks. Having said that, even when replacing with a performance name brand, the determining factors may be the same.

It still baffles me that none of the shock manufacturers big boys haven't offered a set of shocks for these vehicles. There are a fair number of them on the road with a decent performance-oriented group of folks out there who would be interested. That doesn't take into account that owners of other Exploder models of the same generation might want to upgrade as well. Sometimes the 800 lb. gorilla is the first to market.

Explorer ST Posts