Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Rear Shocks

Reactions
The dealer noted that my rear shocks are seaping (11.5k miles on the clock) but won't replace them because of the Steeda springs (which have been on less than a year and 2k miles). The only thing I have been able to find online is some replacements by Steeda (upgrade for regular explorers to match the ST), or direct replacements from RockAuto (clickable). Are there any better options out there that I am missing?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I haven’t found anything yet. The Steeda parts are stock ST parts…nothing special about them.

OP
boosted_st
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
I haven’t found anything yet. The Steeda parts are stock ST parts…nothing special about them.
That's what I was thinking, just more expensive since they have the Steeda sticker haha. Off to RockAuto to get those. Thanks for the quick reply.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Are the RockAuto aftermarket equivalents or OEM Ford? I would think the discount Ford dealers would be the place to get genuine ford parts.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Are the RockAuto aftermarket equivalents or OEM Ford? I would think the discount Ford dealers would be the place to get genuine ford parts.
The Rockauto site lists Motorcraft parts.

OP
boosted_st
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
The Rockauto site lists Motorcraft parts.
Yup, shows as being Motorcraft. They should arrive tomorrow so I guess we'll find out.

Anyone have any good suggestions on how to "hold the flag"?
1661920058118.png

OP
boosted_st
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
I got the shocks today and they have FoMoCo on each of the parts so I'm pretty sure they are OEM parts and from what I saw online RockAuto had the best price at $65 each.

20220901_134350.jpg
20220901_134335.jpg 20220901_134328.jpg
I just need to verify the part number when I get the rear wheel off to make sure their site was correct.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Sweet deal. Removal and replacement is super easy too. I reused the nut but apparently it is one time use.

OP
boosted_st
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
Sweet deal. Removal and replacement is super easy too. I reused the nut but apparently it is one time use.
I'm probably going to do this tomorrow, it doesn't look hard at all (famous last words). I picked up the bolts and nuts from a local dealer for like $18 for the 6 total needed (found those cheaper online, but they may have charged shipping). After reading the procedure in the service manual and it saying to discard the bolts and nuts, I decided to call over and see if they were available since I was waiting on the shocks to arrive anyway. If I hadn't read that I would have reused what is there as well.

Did you have to "hold the flag" like it says? that bolt feels like it's pretty tight in that lower section of the new ones.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Did you have to "hold the flag" like it says? that bolt feels like it's pretty tight in that lower section of the new ones.
I don't remember needing to do that. Looks like simple pliers would do the trick if you do.

OP
boosted_st
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
I don't remember needing to do that. Looks like simple pliers would do the trick if you do.
Awesome, they look like they are probably pressed in and might not move at all. Pliers or channel locks were what I was thinking if needed.

OP
boosted_st
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
I got the new shocks installed this morning (part numbers matched up) and the old ones were leaking, not just seaping. I had no reason or need to "hold the flag" as the instructions pointed out. Thanks for the heads up @Cdubya , it was much much easier than I even expected [wrenchin].

This was the drivers side.
20220902_093924-Driver.jpg

Showing the leak on both side by side.
20220902_095231-Leaking.jpg

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
That in my opinion is odd that both shocks would be leaking with that few miles on the car.

I have to say the thought crossed my mind that you had it in for an oil change and someone sprayed those with a little light oil and hoped to sell you something. Bad guy oil change shops use to do that.

I don't think the Steeda's would have anything to do with these going bad. The shocks are still operating within the range of the piston. Strange, very strange.

Do the old shocks still have their gas charge? If the leak is significant the gas usually bleeds off and won't rebound.

OP
boosted_st
Reactions
Thread Starter #14
That in my opinion is odd that both shocks would be leaking with that few miles on the car.

I have to say the thought crossed my mind that you had it in for an oil change and someone sprayed those with a little light oil and hoped to sell you something. Bad guy oil change shops use to do that.

I don't think the Steeda's would have anything to do with these going bad. The shocks are still operating within the range of the piston. Strange, very strange.

Do the old shocks still have their gas charge? If the leak is significant the gas usually bleeds off and won't rebound.
The dealer has been the only one to do oil changes so far, and the multipoint inspection from picking up the ST in May (first time after the long stint there) showed all good. And this was maybe 1500 miles later doing the first oil change on this engine.

I find it odd that both went at the same time as well, but in looking up replacement shocks I found a post on explorerforum.com where a person (also an ST) had both rear leaking as well, and they had stock springs.

I didn't check their charge, but can do that tomorrow since they are still out in the garage right now and report back how they are.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
HA! I didn't even realize that you had been in for an oil change.

OP
boosted_st
Reactions
Thread Starter #16
HA! I didn't even realize that you had been in for an oil change.
It was funny when you mentioned that since I just had been! They didn't even say anything to me about it, I looked at the multipoint inspection report and saw checkmarks in the yellow area and was like "wtf is that?" and then saw there were notes about the shocks at the bottom of it haha

OP
boosted_st
Reactions
Thread Starter #17
I did a quick test on the old shocks and they still have some rebound but not what I would expect. And the drivers side (leaking more) had less than the pass side.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I would think that would indicate the shock is actually bad.

BillBeau

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
Typical FORD shocks! They just don't last. I had to replace the shocks on my 2015 F150 at 5K. They wanted to use the warranty and put in the same crap but I went out and got a set of Bilstien's. Much better ride than the stock stuff. Too bad they don't offer them for the ST. I had Bilstien's on my 98 Z28. These were specials that went on the SS Camaro by SLP. I also added lowering springs. Car handled great after that.

OP
boosted_st
Reactions
Thread Starter #20
Typical FORD shocks! They just don't last. I had to replace the shocks on my 2015 F150 at 5K. They wanted to use the warranty and put in the same crap but I went out and got a set of Bilstien's. Much better ride than the stock stuff. Too bad they don't offer them for the ST. I had Bilstien's on my 98 Z28. These were specials that went on the SS Camaro by SLP. I also added lowering springs. Car handled great after that.
If there were other options out there I would have not gone with Ford parts again. I'm a bit surprised that there aren't better options after the platform being a few years old now.