Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Rear end damage

Reactions
Man what a day. Just trying to head home from doing some late errands and some ass hole decided not to pay attention while pulling up to a red light. This decision he made was to ram into my rear end of my new st that we got on 11/25/21. I don’t know what he was actually doing to be distracted but this happen… (please hide the children from seeing this)

So I need help to see what should I look for before repairing cause this a new vehicle for me. What do I need to check on first? Cause the damage seem to travel to the passenger side of the vehicle, so some panel’s seem to have a “popping” sound when slightly pushed.

Attachments

OP
IconicSTallion
Reactions
Thread Starter #2
Some pictures of the damage, yet it’s hard to see due to the light was poor.

Attachments

F=MA

Reactions
I would say the color of your ST blends in too well with the surroundings. Gray cars have higher accident rates because of this. A couple weeks ago I was at my Ford dealers lot and they have a rear entrance to the lot that has a narrow single lane automatic gate. There are cars parked everywhere so site distance can be limited. I pulled through the gate (leaving) and hit the brakes just as a huge silver Dodge Ram crew cab went flying by. One foot away from being T-boned in the front quarter. I did not even see it moving through the lot until the last second.

Reactions
Man what a day. Just trying to head home from doing some late errands and some ass hole decided not to pay attention while pulling up to a red light. This decision he made was to ram into my rear end of my new st that we got on 11/25/21. I don’t know what he was actually doing to be distracted but this happen… (please hide the children from seeing this)

So I need help to see what should I look for before repairing cause this a new vehicle for me. What do I need to check on first? Cause the damage seem to travel to the passenger side of the vehicle, so some panel’s seem to have a “popping” sound when slightly pushed.
Step 1: Call your insurance company and file a claim
Step 2: Find a reputable body shop you prefer
Step 3: Take the car to have an estimate done

Reactions
I would say the color of your ST blends in too well with the surroundings. Gray cars have higher accident rates because of this. A couple weeks ago I was at my Ford dealers lot and they have a rear entrance to the lot that has a narrow single lane automatic gate. There are cars parked everywhere so site distance can be limited. I pulled through the gate (leaving) and hit the brakes just as a huge silver Dodge Ram crew cab went flying by. One foot away from being T-boned in the front quarter. I did not even see it moving through the lot until the last second.

yup, dark grey worst color blends into asphalt, even worse than black due to lack of contrast, fire engine red bad too, red is seen as black at night, thats why some fire engines now bright yellow, my car is black, sometimes you gotta take the risk to look good, like high heels on women!
bet the guy who hit you was texting

F=MA

Reactions
I have the brake light flasher module for extra flashes but haven't installed it yet. Kind of like a home security system that's still in the box. Lazy !!

KegsBdry

Reactions
Perhaps the driver was distracted by the large spider print across the front windshield. :ROFLMAO:

But seriously, that sucks when your new car gets in an accident. :mad:

Reactions
^^I am willing to bet $20 he would test positive for marijuana

OP
IconicSTallion
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
It’s more like a tour van for a band. That guy who hit me is like 50ish and seems to be part of the band. I just don’t know how you don’t see LED brake lights with a turn signal on. The light was red as well, so don’t you need to stop at a red light? :unsure:

OP
IconicSTallion
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
The repair places where I live are bored line amateurs. The only shop I can think of is Chalmers Ford collision repair. I really want the st to look good as new. I’m sure the exhaust got damaged somewhere cause the side got hit on sticks out about 1 inch compared to the driver side exhaust.

OP
IconicSTallion
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
I wonder how would they fix that massive dent in the tailgate cause the impact force the plastic on the inside of the cabin to turn white. My alignment seems off from the steering wheel. Oh I feel a little popping in the brakes when I go to a drive tru.

Attachments

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
From your descriptions I bet it will be at least $10K to repair it right. Don't accept it from the body shop until you are satisfied. Hopefully his insurance pays for your rental car.

F=MA

Reactions
Looks like some kind of expanded foam. Have you been past Area 51 lately :censored:?

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The repair places where I live are bored line amateurs. I really want the st to look good as new.
Do your due diligence before selecting a body shop. Ask around and go online for reviews of the different shops in your area. I'm leery of dealership body shops.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Call your local Mercedes (or other high-end) dealership and ask who does their work. They almost never have their own body shops and will farm the work out to the best place in town.

Last edited:
OP
IconicSTallion
Reactions
Thread Starter #18
Well that won’t work out most body shops around here are willing to do a estimate look but to have the vehicle service, for that will be 2-3 months hold before they even lay a hand to work on the vehicle. The trunk so misaligned that you can see the piston on the passenger side of the lift gate. ( don’t want to cause any rust damage if I wait to long)

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Well that won’t work out most body shops around here are willing to do a estimate look but to have the vehicle service, for that will be 2-3 months hold before they even lay a hand to work on the vehicle. The trunk so misaligned that you can see the piston on the passenger side of the lift gate. ( don’t want to cause any rust damage if I wait to long)
The person's insurance company that is at fault should provide you with a rental vehicle. They cannot say that you have to drive an unsafe vehicle.. Be persistent if necessary, you should already have the rental by now.

OP
IconicSTallion
Reactions
Thread Starter #20
Well that asshole was not on the insurance at the time of accident. I’ll see if they can give us a vehicle but I’m scheduled at a local Ford collision center on the 20th. I might have them look at the rear drive terrain to see if that was damage since it was a rear end collision.