Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Rear end damage

Reactions
That is a great find @jrgoffin ! Points out that there is a good possibility of a supplier issue so they substituted the subframes. So they might have bypassed the engineering dept. to get the cars out.
I wonder if they had a supplier shortage of the 4 bolt ST version, and installed the 3 bolt version to keep up production, the demand for the ST is pretty high?
That is my guess on both accounts. Shutting down an assembly line costs big dollars, so someone may have approved the substitution of the other frames without realizing the difference. Hopefully Ford figures it out. One of the guys in a Facebook group works at the plant, so I put the same info up there, which he may bring up to those higher up the food chain.

How much is the cost of the correct subframe?
It's around $1500 retail.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Sadly that piece is well over $1K. Certainly, something you would have to think about swapping. Now If you get Ford to fess up and say that it was a supply shortage and not the piece the car needs given the power output you might be on to something.

Reactions
Doing another relatively quick search, here are some part numbers I dug up for all of them.

MB5Z-5035-A: ST, Aviator, & w/o air suspension (shown below)
MB5Z-5035-B: Interceptor, & w/air suspension
MB5Z-5035-C: 2.3, LX, base (shown in Post #38)

Obviously you would have to run your VIN, but chances are all ST's should have the "-A" version (as my VIN also confirmed). Definitely should be something that ought to be explored for those that have ripped the differential out. Ford just needs to use the correct subframe, so hopefully what I've found will help!

Rear crossmember ST Aviator.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions
Now im curious as to what subframe the 2022 model's will have especially considering all 3.0l's will come with ST's tune.

Wonder if there were any 21 models with the 2 bolt rear, im sure the 2 bolt rear subframes didnt just magically end for the 2020 models.

I see this becoming a bigger issue for Ford, well the 21 owners, in the upcoming years

Reactions
21 with a 2 bolt here.

I could easily see the scerio being a production issue and change to ship units. Hell, production mgr probably found the newest mfg engineer in the plant to sign off on it. I could also see a bad batch of bolts. Suppliers do fake test reports more than people realize. Could just be an honest error too.

I have seen some ridiculous and unethical shit in my time.

Reactions
So I got mine back. All seems to be well. They replaced the rear sub frame, both rear axles, rear differential, and the drive shaft. I don’t know what the cost was but sounds expensive. Hopefully they do a recall and change to a two bolt setup like the previous years.
did they replace the subframe with one bolt to the two rear bolts?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I think I'll be a little more disappointed if the new ones flip back to the 2 bolt setups.

msota84

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Has anybody tried sourcing the bushing? (or a bushing that would work) If that could be done and welded into place?????

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
To install a bushing there really needs to be a sleeve of some type installed or be a solid piece and the bushing is typically pressed in. Getting a hole just right in what is a hollow cross member and installing a sleeve would be a tough thing for the average owner to do.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I also did a bit of searching and the MB5Z-5035-A replaces all the previous part numbers. It seems that the actual part installed is likely hit or miss, although the ST/Police versions should have the 4bolt vs 3bolt version. The online price ranger from $1100+ to $1200+ plus delivery if you wanted to change it out yourself. Certainly more if Ford does it for you. If your ExpST is a keeper with mods, then it looks like a good idea to replace it with the 4bolt if not already there. I’m likely to order it and do it myself next year…

msota84

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
I also did a bit of searching and the MB5Z-5035-A replaces all the previous part numbers. It seems that the actual part installed is likely hit or miss, although the ST/Police versions should have the 4bolt vs 3bolt version. The online price ranger from $1100+ to $1200+ plus delivery if you wanted to change it out yourself. Certainly more if Ford does it for you. If your ExpST is a keeper with mods, then it looks like a good idea to replace it with the 4bolt if not already there. I’m likely to order it and do it myself next year…
Quick google search shows a -A, -B, and a -C, all dependent on your VIN. It looks like they all are 4 bolt type. Yeah, this might be my next mod!

Reactions
screw it being a "modification", I would take any 1-bolt (errr, 3 bolt) back to the dealer and demand it be corrected.

Reactions
screw it being a "modification", I would take any 1-bolt (errr, 3 bolt) back to the dealer and demand it be corrected.
Ooooh....... you may be on to something here. Technically if they built it incorrectly from the factory, it should be recalled.and repaired. It's not like we paid peanuts for these STs.

Reactions
Seriously though, if you have the one bolt I would urge you to contact Ford and open a case for them to investigate. This definitely sounds like an error on their end.

Here is the Cust Service number 1 (800) 392-3673

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I’m all for swapping in the correct sub frame…everyone needs to consider the scope of a project like that though…you’re literally removing the entire rear suspension, driveline, exhaust, etc. make sure you’re set up for a major project like that.

Reactions
I'm all for what's right is right. If Ford made a mistake and used the incorrect rear subframes for our vehicles they should make it right. I'll have to check mine once I get it back on Friday.

Reactions
I’m all for swapping in the correct sub frame…everyone needs to consider the scope of a project like that though…you’re literally removing the entire rear suspension, driveline, exhaust, etc. make sure you’re set up for a major project like that.
Once you pull the knuckles and half-shafts (after removing the exhaust and brakes, of course), it's probably not a bad job. I've had the subframe out of my '03 Cobra a couple times and it's straightforward if you are prepared. I was always amazed when guys tried to drop the entire assembly in one piece on a floor jack and really wrestled with it. At least with the Cobra, the subframe was 100# lighter with the axles and knuckles out of the way. Probably similar here if anyone has to do it.

Adding to that, the picture I used up above is from one on eBay - could be a decent deal for someone if they come down in price a bit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/203659261045?hash=item2f6b09b475:g:xmUAAOSwA3lhcAtV

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I'm pretty sure one could design an appropriate brace for these "single bolt" subframes that would work fine for a lot less money and effort than replacing the entire subframe. It just needs to be designed to limit the rotation of the diff under torque. Viewed from the side, the differential wants to rotate around the center of the axle- upward on the driveshaft (front) side and downward on the rear, so that movement needs to be limited.