Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Rear differential leaking

OP

21CarbGrayST

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
Thread Starter #21
Well I went and picked it up and the service manager insists that they are hydraulic filled bushings on this application. Even said, unless it starts sagging, he wouldn’t worry too much about it. Took the car and will be working with a different dealer/shop. Anyone in the Cincinnati area know a reputable and reliable shop/dealership that can shoot me straight?

OP

21CarbGrayST

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
Thread Starter #22
The one that’s “leaking” literally says…Push from this side” However, after driving 10 miles home, the fluid is not hot and basically odorless.

Attachments

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Correct, they only press in one way. Has nothing to do with any fluids.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Just buy yourself a syringe and some bushing fluid and keep it topped off.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
He said 64K so out of warranty. Sounds like they’re still trying to do him a solid.
Sorry, I missed that it was 64, not 54. Busy day at work.
Yea, it's true that something so costly getting a discount is a solid if youre out of warranty.
Personally I get the extended warranty just for B.S. like this.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
They would only press in from the back because you want the bushing to be locked into place when it is tightened down, otherwise, it could just slide out the other side over time.

I dont know if it is somehow a hydraulic bushing (maybe earlier parts were and they moved away from it?), but if that were the case they could press in the new part, not replace the crossmember.

As Unbroken points out, my concern is that they have written off the diff as a leakage source and that could be catastrophic.
It is interesting though that the fluid was cold

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
These bushings are not hydraulic/liquid-filled. I too, wonder if somehow the bolt hasn't punched a hole in the diff cover and it's leaking down the bolt and out the back. I would think it would be easy enough to identify the fluid shown isn't gear lube. Just smell it. Regarding gear lube, it's that old saying, "If you know, you know."

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
These bushings are not hydraulic/liquid-filled. I too, wonder if somehow the bolt hasn't punched a hole in the diff cover and it's leaking down the bolt and out the back. I would think it would be easy enough to identify the fluid shown isn't gear lube. Just smell it. Regarding gear lube, it's that old saying, "If you know, you know."
That's for sure. Changed the differential fluid in my Ram a couple weeks ago and my wife wouldn't even come in the garage because of the smell. Should have keep a cup of it for those days I want to be left alone in the garage...lol

Last edited: