Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Rear defroster peeling off

gfx42

Reactions
My rear defroster is peeling off. No I have not used anything odd to clean the windows. Took it to a reputable car wash a couple of times so I think they know what they are doing -lol.
Took it to the dealer and they have not seen it before. There is a thread on Redit so I believe it’s going to be a known issue pretty soon. It’s at the dealer now. Will update with their response.

Reactions
There's been a couple mentions of it over the months on FB too. I'm sure it was just a random bad batch of glass from a supplier at some point - rear defroster grids aren't exactly new tech. Annoying but fixable.

Reactions
Mines also peeling since started using it in winter - odd thing is it still seems to work in the peeled areas (wires are still there just orange came off) ?

I thought it was just the protective stuff just peeling/burning off?

Should I take it back to dealership?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G

gfx42

Reactions
Thread Starter #4
My defroster stopped working all together due to this. The dealer needs to replace the entire window which they had to order - and it’s a large dealership. I would take it in and be prepared to be without the vehicle for a bit.
Also, take it in while it’s covered and so new so they can’t say it’s something you did. Clearly there was a manufacturing defect.

hbalek

Reactions
I just noticed mine is starting to peel off on the top and bottom rows. Most of the elements still work but for how long? It sucks that I have to have the entire glass replaced to get this fixed! It's unbelievable to me that such old technology is still a problem for manufacturers!? My vehicle is just over 2 years old and approaching the end of bumper to bumper warranty. Makes me wonder what else will fall apart or fail in the coming months.