Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Rear Cam Recall... or not?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I got the message from Ford last month about the camera recall, which the issue hasn't happened and honestly the rear view camera going blank isnt the end of the world and I can't move the truck... lol... But I just got a letter from Ford saying sorry for any confusion, but your vehicle is in the recall (what confusion??), then is says Ford is pausing all work to this to investigate claims, and in the same line is says call to get your vehicle fixed for the camera issue right away! Did anyone else get this odd back and forth letter? Wife and I are going to Ashville next week for the school. When we get back, I'll call the dealer and get scheduled.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
To summarize, bluescreen recall #1 didn't fix the problem. Recall #2 was issued based on a theoretical flaw that they found but could not replicate in the field. Recall #2 didn't fix the problem. They are still trying to find out what the actual problem is. Don't bother trying to schedule anything.

Edit: Just looked at the latest notice. 21S44. That's different than previous ones, so I'm guessing this is Recall#3 for the bluescreen. That said, I'm going to wait it out and see what other people say. This is the kind of thing that's better off done while you are at the dealership getting an oil change or something. Not optimistic.

Last edited:

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Our recall letter said they have not yet found a fix so basically ourblettee just said, "Hey you have a recall but we dont have a fix for it"

OP
mharris1984
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
Ohhhh thank you for saying that. I re-read it closely. The first line says the the previous recall for blue screen or black screen while backing up is on hold. This is a new recall number now. And it says that even with previous recall fix, issue could still happen. They have halted the recall on the previous number and investigating a new fix.

I'll post a copy of the letter when I get home later. It's a badly writen notice and is super confusing.

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
I know I dont even know why they sent it.

Reactions
It’s a very peculiar situation because many of us had our cameras replaced under warranty and haven’t had the blue screen since, probably been close to two years since I just took a wild guess (I’m a dealer tech) and replaced mine after seeing some others were having success. Ford currently has and has had several other recalls on other models for various cameras.. I’m guessing it’s supply chain issues at this point

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It’s a very peculiar situation because many of us had our cameras replaced under warranty and haven’t had the blue screen since, probably been close to two years since I just took a wild guess (I’m a dealer tech) and replaced mine after seeing some others were having success. Ford currently has and has had several other recalls on other models for various cameras.. I’m guessing it’s supply chain issues at this point
Well they probably know it’s a hardware fix to truly address the issue. They’re just
trying to patch it via software and it’s not working. Sounds like another recall they did that should be hardware related but they just threw a software “fix” at it.

HAMMER

Reactions
Just had the latest recall performed and I got the blue screen the very next day

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Just had the latest recall performed and I got the blue screen the very next day
No dealer should be performing any recall now. They probably just flashes the known faulty fix.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Ford recalled a recall. Ford’s taking things to the next lvl! :ROFLMAO: I received the 2nd letter saying the recall shouldn’t be done because it could cause other issues to pop up I guess. I’d have to re-read it to see what it all said. I’ve never had issues with my screen though so I dismissed the 1st recall notice.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST 401A Pkg White Met Tri-Coat
Seems to be the new maybe its fixed methodology of Ford.
Bought my 2021 F150 PB Hybrid new and had a windshield wiper recall. Took at least 4 months to get them in. Several months ago I get a letter stating ‘we know you had the wiper motor replaced from the recall, BUT, we have to recall your truck again because of faulty wiper motors we used to replace your first recall. As far as I know, they have not come in. Ford themselves will tell you when your dealer gets them. Seriously, if they fail when your driving in a torrential downpour, your screwed. Just before I traded it in, about a month ago, they had a recall on wiper arms.
This is only part of the headaches I had with their nonsense.

Maybe good news? My F150 had the blue screen issue as well. It came and went. As it was in the F150 cam built into the 3rd brake is the only camera that is still analog where others were digital.
It took them a bit, but was eventually fixed with a software update. Camera was fine.

Hopefully same prob here can be a software fix.
I’m starting to see the blue glitch in my 2023. Had it couple times but lasted a spilt second.

Ford really needs to get their tech crap under control or fire the idiots they have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk