Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

rattling moonroof

Reactions
I am getting a noise coming from my crossbeam on the moonroof. Anyone else had this issue and know of a fix?

DaxST

Reactions
I have the same issue. It comes and goes, seems to happen more often when it's cooler out. I brought it in to the dealership to have a look at, but of course when they drive it it didn't make a noise so there was nothing they could do.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
A lot of times on these big pano roofs all you need to do is crack them open to the vent position then close them and they’ll stop making noise.

OP
edeyoung2
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
yes mine didnt start until it cooled down a bit.thanks

OP
edeyoung2
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Look at this nonsense

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

OP
edeyoung2
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
I guess they thought it was going to be an interceptor. Now i gotta make an appointment to get it fixed

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I can have a door panel off in under a minute…the lock just snaps into place. A trim tool, 7 and 10mm sockets and under 5 minutes for a first timer will save you a whole day at a dealership if you just pop the panel off and snap it back in.

Reactions
Yes, mine started yesterday. I found that I can light hit the center of the glass and I hear the annoying rattle. It sounds like metal in a cup holder, ha

Kirk ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I get a gurgling sound from my room when it's raining. nothing leaks, so I think it's just sucking water up from the drain...any takers on this one? it's an annoying noise and a stupid issue. lots to love about these STs, but man, sometimes I feel like it's the first time Ford built something! so many simple things not done well.

Jeff

Reactions
yes i live in wisconsin and this just started to happen when temps reach 40's, a minor problem compared to the exhaust burning oil and filing the garage with smoke. Already in shop 3 time with one valve and cylinder head replaced

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
yes i live in wisconsin and this just started to happen when temps reach 40's, a minor problem compared to the exhaust burning oil and filing the garage with smoke. Already in shop 3 time with one valve and cylinder head replaced
The rattle drove me nuts in my 17 F150 so my 19 didn’t have one. Problem solved.

I had my camshaft solenoids fixed under warranty. Hopefully that’s all. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Griffin

Reactions
I get a gurgling sound from my room when it's raining. nothing leaks, so I think it's just sucking water up from the drain...any takers on this one? it's an annoying noise and a stupid issue. lots to love about these STs, but man, sometimes I feel like it's the first time Ford built something! so many simple things not done well.
Yes. I came here for this exact problem. So fricken annoying. I agree, gotta be the drains somehow. Mine is typically from the front right. I snaked the drain and it is clear. I am currently locating the drain hoses underneath the vehicle. Since it only happens at high speed I am wondering if wind is causing the suction affect. I plan on clamping another piece of hose on it to extend it, then wrapping toward the rear to keep wind from affecting it. It may not work but it is worth a try. I do think if this is the cause, longer drain pipe will help.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ST
I have the same issue. It comes and goes, seems to happen more often when it's cooler out. I brought it in to the dealership to have a look at, but of course when they drive it it didn't make a noise so there was nothing they could do.
I had a 2021 ST with the "rattling" noise and the dealer did not find anything. I just purchased a new 2023 ST and guess what? it has the same rattle! It looks like the moonroof split on top is loose or needs to be attached better (see picture attached). Anyone have experience with fixing the moonroof?

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Check the service manual, Section 501-17, "Roof Opening Panel Alignment", "Power Roof Opening Panel Initialization". Can be done without removing the headliner or the use of a scan tool.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ST
Good suggestion..it helped but still have a rattle. I also tried a silicon spray on the seals of the moonroof. My ST is under warranty so Ill take it in to the dealer.

RLHerm

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Yes. I came here for this exact problem. So fricken annoying. I agree, gotta be the drains somehow. Mine is typically from the front right. I snaked the drain and it is clear. I am currently locating the drain hoses underneath the vehicle. Since it only happens at high speed I am wondering if wind is causing the suction affect. I plan on clamping another piece of hose on it to extend it, then wrapping toward the rear to keep wind from affecting it. It may not work but it is worth a try. I do think if this is the cause, longer drain pipe will help.
I am having the same issue. The tech tried to tell me it was coming from the doors. That I should take a sturdy pipe cleaner and clean the drains in the doors. I’ve owned a few vehicles in my lifetime and NEVER have I ever had to take a pipe cleaner to my doors. I believe the noise is coming from the moon roof as well. It’s a horrible annoying sound!

They replaced my moonroof due to rattle that would go away if you lightly pushed up on the glass. That sound is gone but the gurgle is still there. Especially when it rains.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ST
I had a 2021 ST with the "rattling" noise and the dealer did not find anything. I just purchased a new 2023 ST and guess what? it has the same rattle! It looks like the moonroof split on top is loose or needs to be attached better (see picture attached). Anyone have experience with fixing the moonroof?
I took it to a dealer and they fixed the foam pieces that hold the moonroof bar in place. Thank God they didn't need to take apart my moonroof. My ST now has a VERY quite ride.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ST Explorer
There is a foam piece that can be installed to take care of this rattle. All the dealers should have a Rotunda squeak and rattle kit with the foam and felt tape.

Reactions
I took it to a dealer and they fixed the foam pieces that hold the moonroof bar in place. Thank God they didn't need to take apart my moonroof. My ST now has a VERY quite ride.
Mine sounds like it's coming from the interior crossbar trim piece rather than the moonroof itself (I doubt performing a panel reinitialization/alignment would solve anything).

Might be a tall ask, but can you post a few picture with where the dealer fixed the foam pieces? I suspect that is all mine needs to quiet the creak/rattle.