Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

rattle and hum....

Reactions
I am dealing with a metallic rattle at all speeds coming from rear of vehicle. Sales person drove it and heard it. Service guy came for a ride and as you might expect, quiet. It is still there. Now I turn up the radio to drown it out, ony to be annoyed by the tiny crackle sound coming from the frt passenger side speakers. Other than that....this SUV is a beast.

Reactions
I also get a metallic kind of rattle but I think yours might be different. I get the metallic rattle (from inside rear of the vehicle) only on certain type of roads. Even thought it sounds metallic, I think it might be the plastic parts that might be the culprit. I have tried everything but unable to narrow it down or replicate it at will because is sometimes makes that noise and sometimes does not on the same type of road. I go around and go to the same patch over and over again but it will make the noise sometimes and sometimes not. I really don't want to take it to the dealer for this because I don't want them to try and replicate it by going over all bad damaged roads and making things worse and eventually saying everything is normal so have decided to live with it.

Since yours is constant, have to checked if the 2 storage covers behind the 3rd row on both sides are seated properly? Also check if the 3rd row seat belts are not hitting the side or stuck between the seat and the panel.

hbalek

Reactions
I also get a metallic kind of rattle but I think yours might be different. I get the metallic rattle (from inside rear of the vehicle) only on certain type of roads. Even thought it sounds metallic, I think it might be the plastic parts that might be the culprit. I have tried everything but unable to narrow it down or replicate it at will because is sometimes makes that noise and sometimes does not on the same type of road. I go around and go to the same patch over and over again but it will make the noise sometimes and sometimes not. I really don't want to take it to the dealer for this because I don't want them to try and replicate it by going over all bad damaged roads and making things worse and eventually saying everything is normal so have decided to live with it.

Since yours is constant, have to checked if the 2 storage covers behind the 3rd row on both sides are seated properly? Also check if the 3rd row seat belts are not hitting the side or stuck between the seat and the panel.
I have this intermittent sound from the rear. At first I thought it was the hatch or possibly the spoiler on the liftgate. Someone suggested it could be the glass roof panel. Whatever it is, it's intermittent on certain bumpy roads or speed bumps.

Reactions
Had the same issue ended up being the coat hanger on the rear driver side. Twisted it and haven’t had an issue since.. they built the roof with those clips to lock things in place..

Reactions
I have this intermittent sound from the rear. At first I thought it was the hatch or possibly the spoiler on the liftgate. Someone suggested it could be the glass roof panel. Whatever it is, it's intermittent on certain bumpy roads or speed bumps.
Our problem seems to be kind of similar.

Reactions
Had the same issue ended up being the coat hanger on the rear driver side. Twisted it and haven’t had an issue since.. they built the roof with those clips to lock things in place..
Thanks for the tip, I will go check it tonight and see if that is a culprit. Even if it is not, it would at least be one thing off the list of potential problems

Dgoebel57

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Still waiting for the dealer to correct what I think is a loose panoramic sunroof drain hose that drains down through the "D" pillar, it was pinched and leaked water inside the passenger side storage well and into the spare tire well, they unkinked the hose, stopped the water incursion, but I think the bent hose is still bouncing around inside the pillar. I narrowed it down to that corner behind the trim by laying in the back while my wife drove down bumpy gravel roads to replicate the rattle constantly. For some reason the dealers body shop guys don't want to try the same troubleshooting I did.