Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Raptor R transmission parts for the Explorer?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I don't think anyone is not welcoming you, they're just particular about badges! But your first question is the important one about performance and strength. There aren't going to be any performance benefits to the 10R80. As far as strength, it certainly is rated higher and has some heavier duty components, but if you're not breaking things, it's kind of pointless. You'd have to have someone who has both of these on a bench- disassemble them, and then see what might be interchangeable. Five years from now, assuming people are still modifying STs, we might have some answers.

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST PHEV MY22
Thread Starter #22
I don't think anyone is not welcoming you, they're just particular about badges! But your first question is the important one about performance and strength. There aren't going to be any performance benefits to the 10R80. As far as strength, it certainly is rated higher and has some heavier duty components, but if you're not breaking things, it's kind of pointless. You'd have to have someone who has both of these on a bench- disassemble them, and then see what might be interchangeable. Five years from now, assuming people are still modifying STs, we might have some answers.
As it's my daily driver i'd like to prepare myself a bit.

I've seen multiple posts about people breaking their transmissions and well, kind of expect that will happen at some point in the future with mine, in part because of the extra torque but also weight the phev has and would like to upgrade the turbo's in about a year.

Besides that, the known tuners in the US (zfg, livernois, 5 star) all seem reluctant to remotely tune the PHEV, so i have to go local and simply put, they don't have as much experience with either the engine nor the transmission.

If there are precautions i can take (ie, i was adviced to upgrade the flexplate) i'd rather do that than destroying a full transmission And keep my downtime as low as possible.

Edit: just noticed i never had a reply from ZFG only an erronous mail, so emailed them again about the possibility of tuning my car.

Last edited:

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Here's a US approach that you should seriously think about, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Anecdotal "evidence" of flexplate and transmission problems are to be treated with a great deal of skepticism. Not that they don't happen, but why. Most of the problems are related to the incorrect installation (and possible poor heat treatment) of some solenoid snap rings. Those would have eventually grenaded the trans regardless of mods.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
……. the known tuners in the US (zfg, livernois, 5 star) all seem reluctant to remotely tune the PHEV, so i have to go local and simply put, they don't have as much experience with either the engine nor the transmission…..
Please don’t be like our resident fire starter guy who takes a tiny bit of information and turns it into a world-wide fact beyond discussion. Fact is, ZFG is likely the top tuner for the 10R80. He has much experience with the F150 Raptor 10R80 specifically. A few of us have tuning experience with several other vehicles.

As for tuning any PHEV, there’s more software and hardware involved that certainly isn’t in high demand for tuning, such that there’s little to no incentive to developers. PHEVs are likely one of, if not “the”, last in any list of “tunable” vehicles.

Seriously, maybe it isn’t a “tune” that you need for your PHEV vehicle, but an actual ST? The Ford of Europe web site shows its available.

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #25
Please don’t be like our resident fire starter guy who takes a tiny bit of information and turns it into a world-wide fact beyond discussion. Fact is, ZFG is likely the top tuner for the 10R80. He has much experience with the F150 Raptor 10R80 specifically. A few of us have tuning experience with several other vehicles.

As for tuning any PHEV, there’s more software and hardware involved that certainly isn’t in high demand for tuning, such that there’s little to no incentive to developers. PHEVs are likely one of, if not “the”, last in any list of “tunable” vehicles.

Seriously, maybe it isn’t a “tune” that you need for your PHEV vehicle, but an actual ST? The Ford of Europe web site shows its available.
Not trying to be a firestarter, have contacted them and others but simply none are willing. I contacted them exactly because they are the experienced guys with both the engine and the transmission. Both the engine and transmission are pretty uncommon here unfortunately.

The demand for PHEV tuning might not be in high demand yet in the US, on this side of the world it's a different case and with the increasing number of PHEV'S i think it's only a matter of time and for many PHEV's its no issue to tune them as the electric motor is (for lack of a better terminology) the "slave" to the ICE.

On which part of the EU ford site are you looking? In Belgium, Netherlands, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Norway, Denmark, the PHEV is the only Explorer available and, to my knowledge, no European country has the non PHEV version available unless its through separate import and that would increase the price even further, by about 40-60% from its already 80k minimum pricetag.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 EP

In the Netherlands, the only Explorer Model is “labeled“ ST-line but it’s actually the Aviator Powertrain. It’s the 3.0L EcoBoost with HV battery (PHEV) and 10R80 transmission.

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #27
In the Netherlands, the only Explorer Model is “labeled“ ST-line but it’s actually the Aviator Powertrain. It’s the 3.0L EcoBoost with HV battery (PHEV) and 10R80 transmission.
yeah, labels/trim levels/equipment etc varies all over the world.

In regards to the transmission,to be even more specific it's the 10R80MHT. And the Raptor R seems to have an upgraded version that's also called the 10R80MHT, just to keep things simple and easy to identify i guess :p

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 EP
yeah, labels/trim levels/equipment etc varies all over the world.

In regards to the transmission,to be even more specific it's the 10R80MHT. And the Raptor R seems to have an upgraded version that's also called the 10R80MHT, just to keep things simple and easy to identify i guess :p
Ik snap het. Ik ben ook Nederlands.