Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Raptor R transmission parts for the Explorer?

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST PHEV MY22
Just checked as far is i can check/understand it, but it seems the Ford F150 Raptor R transmission is a modded 10r80 mht transmission with keyparts being strengthened.

From a autoevolution article found here:
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...n-detailed-exterior-colors-leaked-191348.html

"How does the Raptor R transmission differ from the 10R80 used in lesser F-150 trucks? For starters, the Ford Motor Company has fitted a heavy-duty rear output assembly with PTFE washers. A four-pinion gear carrier also needs to be highlighted. As for the front end, we’re dealing with a 260-millimeter torque converter that flaunts a heavy-duty turbine damper.

The final piece of the puzzle is – of course – the software. “New unique transmission calibration with advanced powertrain control software” has been confirmed. Ford waxes lyrical with “the fastest-ever 10-speed shifting,” exceeding the shift times of the 10L90 in the Camaro ZL1."

So, what would keep us with PHEV explorers (euro car) from getting these parts for our own transmission and get the strength and extra performance?

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Well we have a 10R60 to start with.
Although there has been some discussion as to what the actual differences are I haven’t seen anyone post what they may be.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Just checked as far is i can check/understand it, but it seems the Ford F150 Raptor R transmission is a modded 10r80 mht transmission with keyparts being strengthened.

From a autoevolution article found here:
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...n-detailed-exterior-colors-leaked-191348.html

"How does the Raptor R transmission differ from the 10R80 used in lesser F-150 trucks? For starters, the Ford Motor Company has fitted a heavy-duty rear output assembly with PTFE washers. A four-pinion gear carrier also needs to be highlighted. As for the front end, we’re dealing with a 260-millimeter torque converter that flaunts a heavy-duty turbine damper.

The final piece of the puzzle is – of course – the software. “New unique transmission calibration with advanced powertrain control software” has been confirmed. Ford waxes lyrical with “the fastest-ever 10-speed shifting,” exceeding the shift times of the 10L90 in the Camaro ZL1."

So, what would keep us with explorers from getting these parts for our own transmission and get the strength and extra performance?
Let's see, what would keep us with Explorers to use that? Uhm, since it's a whole different tranny that might make a difference. Just maybe.

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #4
Well we have a 10R60 to start with.
Although there has been some discussion as to what the actual differences are I haven’t seen anyone post what they may be.

Aaah ok, mine has the 10r80mht as its the phev explorer. I think its also used in the hybrid explorer and perhaps in the PIU? Its also used in the aviator PHEV models.

Perhaps even the "normal" 10r80mht could be an upgrade for you guys?

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
Let's see, what would keep us with Explorers to use that? Uhm, since it's a whole different tranny that might make a difference. Just maybe.
Not all explorers have the 10r60 ;)

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Not all explorers have the 10r60 ;)
While this is true, it's easy to put @UNBROKEN's statement in context as for the most part the posts on the Explorer ST Forum are discussing the ST.

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
While this is true, it's easy to put @UNBROKEN's statement in context as for the most part the posts on the Explorer ST Forum are discussing the ST.
Yes, but even the ST comes in multiple flavors.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Was not aware the ST had anything other than 3.0 TT powerplant with the 10R60 behind it. Please school me. That is of course not considering the ST-Line.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Considering the stock 10R60 has now gone into the 10’s I really don’t see why everyone thinks an upgrade is necessary anyway…it’s doing just fine and is living in tons of mid-11 second ST’s and now 10’s.
Also considering the ST only comes with one engine and trans and this isn’t an ST Line group perhaps clarify what you’re asking about next time.

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #10
Was not aware the ST had anything other than 3.0 TT powerplant with the 10R60 behind it. Please school me. That is of course not considering the ST-Line.
Outside of america the ST is delivered with the 3.0 TT and a Plugin Hybrid system. These use the 10r80mht transmission.

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #11
Considering the stock 10R60 has now gone into the 10’s I really don’t see why everyone thinks an upgrade is necessary anyway…it’s doing just fine and is living in tons of mid-11 second ST’s and now 10’s.
Also considering the ST only comes with one engine and trans and this isn’t an ST Line group perhaps clarify what you’re asking about next time.
The ST has one engine, but not 1 drivetrain. Like i posted above, the ST can be ordered outside the US as a plugin hybrid model. It has the 3.0 twin turbo but also an electric motor.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Outside of america the ST is delivered with the 3.0 TT and a Plugin Hybrid system. These use the 10r80mht transmission.
I learn something new all the time.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
And again…that’s called the ST Line…not just ST. This at its core is an ST group so posts about the ST Line would be helpful if clarified.

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #14
I learn something new all the time.
Perhaps some of the parts could be used in the 10r60 as well?

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
The ST has one engine, but not 1 drivetrain. Like i posted above, the ST can be ordered outside the US as a plugin hybrid model. It has the 3.0 twin turbo but also an electric motor.
What country and trim level? Specifically.

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #16
What country and trim level? Specifically.
Basically all of Europe at least, it was promoted as ST (even says so on my invoice) but now the site says st-line.

And its the only model available on most countries. Some have the Platinum line but it will still have the 3.0 twin turbo + plug in hybrid system.

Total system power is 457hp and 825nm.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
But note you have ST Line badging, not the ST emblems on the lift gate and grille.

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #18
But note you have ST Line badging, not the ST emblems on the lift gate and grille.
Actually, it has neither.

But, lets move on from the st vs st line discussion......

It has the 3.0tt and the 10r80mht, and this group is as close as im gonna come to any group with info/resources on the matter.

So on to the topic, would anybody have info on the differences with the f150 raptor r transmission? Perhaps a mechanic that works on these? ‍

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #20
All our Explorers stateside have the 10r60. I'd just start putting you have a PHEV in the OP
Seeing the welcome i certainly am gonna haha :)

Edit: edited opening post! :) and put it in signature for good measure.

Btw, i think the 3.3 hybrid models might have the 10r80mht as well?