Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

QUESTION: Carbon Build Up

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I’ve owned many direct injection twin-turbo I6 euros over the years. Carbon buildup has always been a symptom, often needing walnut blasting every 25k-30k miles. How susceptible are Ford Ecoboost direct injection engines? What should we plan for in ST case?

I haven’t seen any recommendations in the maintenance schedule. This is my first Ford and I’m reading that Ford’s been recommending techs replace cylinder heads every time build up becomes a problem. They have to be kidding, right? Can any long time Ford owners chime in?

Reactions
Does the 3.0 have port injection in addition to direct injection?

I cant find anything conclusive on it, but everything says its based on the 2.7 Nano engine which appears to have gotten port injection added in 2018.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
The 3.0 TT is Direct Injected only. Seems like a good idea in the 2.7 and the 3.5 Gen2’s, I have no idea why the 3.0 didn’t pick that up.

Last edited:
Reactions
Time for a small meth nozzle to keep it clean. We've been doing it in the Ecoboost world for several years. Best to keep it clean so you don't have to MAKE it clean.

Reactions
Thats an option too. I had it on a Supercharged LS1 vette that went kaboomski when i ran out of meth while racing an R1 :-(

Reactions
ouch, yea gotta be careful how you use it. A small nozzle that you aren't tuning for the additional fueling is completely safe for maintenance and adds a small charge to the airflow.

Reactions
ouch, yea gotta be careful how you use it. A small nozzle that you aren't tuning for the additional fueling is completely safe for maintenance and adds a small charge to the airflow.
i like that idea. i think that could be a solid solution without much additional hassle

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
My first ecoboost engine was in a 2013 SHO and I kept the car for 10 years before selling it. I always used premium fuel and had the oil changed on a regular basis and never had an issue with carbon build up. The car made it up to 80k miles before I sold it and it ran like a top and getting better mileage the more I drove her! One of my workers purchased the car and he claims it drives like its a new vehicle so I'm not too worried about my 2022 ST having any issues. To me it seems the 3.0 runs cleaner because on the Taurus I had to constantly clean the tail pipes from black soot damn near on a daily basis and I never have to do that on my Explorer. I've read on a few websites that if the 3.0 would need any cleaning from issues due to carbon build up it would be at 100k miles where most engines would need some type of service at high mileage.

F=MA

Reactions
I plan on using the CRC Intake valve/turbo cleaner every oil change as i've seen what intake valves on a DI N/A and supercharged silverado look like
I think this was covered in the past that cleaners could knock deposits loose that could damage the internals of the turbos. That is why people are using the catch cans to reduce the deposit potential versus using the cleaners.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
My first ecoboost engine was in a 2013 SHO and I kept the car for 10 years before selling it. I always used premium fuel and had the oil changed on a regular basis and never had an issue with carbon build up ... To me it seems the 3.0 runs cleaner because on the Taurus I had to constantly clean the tail pipes from black soot damn near on a daily basis and I never have to do that on my Explorer ...
If people use Top Tier fuel, then the chances of getting excessive carbon buildup will probably be greatly reduced.

FYI: The ST's tail pipe tips will never get sooty, as the exhaust actually exits out of holes facing the ground just before the tips.

Reactions
I recentiy installed a JLT catch can. Last week I saw a video about catch cans restricting air flow so I ordered a crankcase filter to prevent excessive crankcase pressure. It has a check vavle to prevent air from entering the crankcase but lets air out if there is a buildup of pressure. Anyone else have one? It replaces the oil fill cap.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Link?

Reactions
If you go to youtube and look up "crankcase breather" you will find several vidoes.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I recentiy installed a JLT catch can. Last week I saw a video about catch cans restricting air flow so I ordered a crankcase filter to prevent excessive crankcase pressure. It has a check vavle to prevent air from entering the crankcase but lets air out if there is a buildup of pressure. Anyone else have one? It replaces the oil fill cap.
Plan on seeing DTCs after install. Once again (yes, I keep harping on this theme), something that you might have used 30+ years ago will NOT work on the ST. The PCV system is now digital and electronically controlled. There is additionally a Crankcase Pressure Sensor. It is expressly designed to detect leaks at idle and under boost meaning it will throw codes if the pressure is not within range for the operating condition. Buying something like this just puts money in a vendor's pocket and vents crankcase emissions to the atmosphere.

Here is a link to the relevant information:
https://www.liaviator2.com/lincoln_...operation_and_component_description-2671.html

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
Yes, terrible experience.
My st is tuned amd on e50.
Put in the crankcase filter and oil blew past checkvalve and made a small mess.
Calling JLT next week amd asking for a refund.

Reactions
Are you wanting a refund on the catch can or crankcase breather or both?

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
Are you wanting a refund on the catch can or crankcase breather or both?
No, just returned the breather.
JLT took it back without issue.
Great customer service.

DeliciousCornbread

U.S. Army Veteran
Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2019 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
No, just returned the breather.
JLT took it back without issue.
Great customer service.
In regards to JLT: Kinda unrelated but on my (previous) mustang I misplaced some hardware for my JLT intake and called over there and they sent me basically a brand new hardware package for free. Their customer service is top notch.