Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Question about lowering springs

Zim

Reactions
Currently running 275/40/20 +45 offset 20x9

would I rub if I installed lowering springs? wheel gap is getting old.

Sorry I don’t know anything suspension related.. thank you.

IMG_0072_jpg.jpeg

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Nope. Lowering springs would have zero effect on clearance of any aspect of that setup.

The "hotspot" for rub is the rear fender liner of the front wheel wells. (see pic below where my setup just grazes the felt). so wheel offset and overall wheel/tire diameter are going to be the things that affect whether you rub or not. a lowering spring just drops the vehicle lower into the already existing wheel travel. full bottom out point is unaffected as is wheel turning arc.

Attachments

OP
Z

Zim

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Nope. Lowering springs would have zero effect on clearance of any aspect of that setup.

The "hotspot" for rub is the rear fender liner of the front wheel wells. (see pic below where my setup just grazes the felt). so wheel offset and overall wheel/tire diameter are going to be the things that affect whether you rub or not. a lowering spring just drops the vehicle lower into the already existing wheel travel. full bottom out point is unaffected as is wheel turning arc.
Interesting. Okay cool. The guy at the tire shop said I was pretty close to rubbing on the strut. But dropping this thing would look so much better. Thanks man

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Interesting. Okay cool. The guy at the tire shop said I was pretty close to rubbing on the strut. But dropping this thing would look so much better. Thanks man
The relationship between the tire and strut won’t change with lowering. The relationship between the tire and fender line can absolutely change as you lower it.

OP
Z

Zim

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
The relationship between the tire and strut won’t change with lowering. The relationship between the tire and fender line can absolutely change as you lower it.
Good answer! Thanks man. Wasn’t sure.