Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Pulling car with a tow dolly

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer Platinum
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I have a 2021 explorer Platinum. My friend is giving me a 2011 Dodge caravan. I have to get it up here from Oklahoma. It's a really long trip... About a thousand miles. The caravan is high mileage so I wouldn't want to drive it that far.

Do you guys think it's doable? The van weighs 4500 lbs

Thank you,

Trevor

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Check the tow ratings but you should be fine. Be sure the dolly has brakes.

Madisonville ST

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I have a 2021 explorer Platinum. My friend is giving me a 2011 Dodge caravan. I have to get it up here from Oklahoma. It's a really long trip... About a thousand miles. The caravan is high mileage so I wouldn't want to drive it that far.

Thank you,

Trevor
Welcome to the forum Trevor.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST

Thank you,

Trevor
Welcome to the forum Trevor.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Welcome, as long as the Platinum has the tow setup you should be fine (i'm assuming it does since you're looking to tow the van). The tow limit is like 5,500lbs I think? There are a lot of threads on here about people towing considerable loads. Good places to check for tips on driving etc.

Give yourself more space braking, bigger gaps, etc and you should be fine. The trailer brake is a big one like JCR ST said. Will make a huge diff for you instead of putting all that stress on the Explorer.

Super easy install for the controls people talk about:
https://www.explorerst.org/threads/trailer-brake-controller-plug-location-and-redarc-install.6046/

Last edited:

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST

Thank you,

Trevor
Welcome to the forum.