Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

PSI ?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Good morning/evening

I fully understand on our drivers door jam the tire and load information states to run the street package 21 inch rims at 33 psi cold .
Does everybody run their tires at 33 psi or something different ?
Also do you feel that 33 psi is enough ?

The reason I am asking because I was browsing at another vehicle which is a Ford product .
A Lincoln Continental with 20 inch rims and they are required to put 39 psi in the tires
I understand the car is a lighter vehicle .

This is the door jam load information from that vehicle :
1030_Lincoln_Continental_2017_40.JPG_37947.jpeg

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Run what your car says to run…not what some other car with a completely different wheel and tire runs. Not sure why this is even in question.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Second, the door placard is there for a reason. Vehicle curb weight etc are all factored in. Now if you're towing or adding stuff to the vehicle the manual will advise you on adjusting pressure.

The reason they say cold pressure is because the tires will heat up and fluctuate as you drive. Starting from 33 when sitting is ideal for traction, wear, etc.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Agreed follow the manufacturers' recommendation, or at the very least, use that number as a starting point, watch your tire wear, and pay attention to how it feels. A pound or two one way or the other won't hurt you but don't make the mistake of using the MAX PSI as shown on the tire. That happens all to often and I've seen tire shops do the same.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Just to add when checking wear. Excessive wear on inside and outside if under inflated. Too much wear in the middle is overinflated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Agreed follow the manufacturers' recommendation, or at the very least, use that number as a starting point, watch your tire wear, and pay attention to how it feels. A pound or two one way or the other won't hurt you but don't make the mistake of using the MAX PSI as shown on the tire. That happens all to often and I've seen tire shops do the same.
Daily basis I saw people inflate their tires to what was on the sidewall of the tire...every...day... They couldn't understand why someone would label a tire that way like it couldn't possibly fit on any other car in the world...

Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST

23 Explorer ST

Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
When I purchased my ST new, I checked the pressures after I left the dealership and they had all my tires at 46psi.
The next morning I dropped them all to 33psi while it was cold.
Definitely a softer ride at 33.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
When I purchased my ST new, I checked the pressures after I left the dealership and they had all my tires at 46psi.
The next morning I dropped them all to 33psi while it was cold.
Definitely a softer ride at 33.

That’s how they’re shipped from Ford. Your dealer should have dropped them as part of their prep.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
That’s how they’re shipped from Ford. Your dealer should have dropped them as part of their prep.
I found them at 40 something when it picked up mine. Any idea why they ship the vehicle with the tires overinflated?