Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Project Blue Steel

OP
mruff1975
Reactions
Thread Starter #42
No real e.t. Goal just pushing the envelope a bit to see what the truck can do with turbos and the stock injectors maxed out. Xtreme di has a few sets of “test” injectors out there but nothing available to the public. I suspect the clutches in the 10r60 will need to be changed in the spring so that’s the next project Raybestos is working on a clutch kit now. I guess we will see what the bottom end can hold. I hope I am not the first guy to find out lol

Reactions
No real e.t. Goal just pushing the envelope a bit to see what the truck can do with turbos and the stock injectors maxed out. Xtreme di has a few sets of “test” injectors out there but nothing available to the public. I suspect the clutches in the 10r60 will need to be changed in the spring so that’s the next project Raybestos is working on a clutch kit now. I guess we will see what the bottom end can hold. I hope I am not the first guy to find out lol
Yea Adam was telling me about the test injectors the other day. I see no reason ( as long as the bottom can hold) why these things with some decent turbos and clutches wont be able to be a reliable 10.90 setup on E.

OP
mruff1975
Reactions
Thread Starter #44
If Adam can get my truck into the 10s that’s good enough for me. That’s a serious “sleeper”

OP
mruff1975
Reactions
Thread Starter #45
I should have the turbos back from cr performance next week. Cr is doing their stage 5 set up. I asked Adam what kind of power guys are making with these turbos and he sent me back a dyno sheet ....
590 hp
550 tq

OP
mruff1975
Reactions
Thread Starter #47
Winter has arrived in Toronto. Just mounted up some continental ice contacts. I am still a bit shocked at the price tag 1900.00 cnd out the door. They are supposed to be great I will keep you guys posted

Reactions
If you ever bring that ST into michigan everyone will think you're a state trooper... Your's is the exact color of the MSP rides.
It'll be interesting to see how those turbo upgrades work out... I shouldn't even be thinking about that, but I can't stop myself from daydreaming about destroying almost anything I go up against... lol

OP
mruff1975
Reactions
Thread Starter #50
I should have the turbos tomorrow sometime. I am following a few other guys that post on here. I saw on my Instagram Theo ran a 3.44 sec 0-60 and 11.35 quarter mile at 123 mph
His truck made 590 hp and 550 tq at the wheels .... and those numbers where kept low to save the transmission/motor
Well... I guess we could have worse addictions hahaha I am 45 and I just can’t help myself I have been modifying cars since I was 16

Reactions
I wouldn't worry too much about the bottom end. If I'm not mistaken, this motor is based on the 2.7 which has pistons similar to the Powerstroke diesel engine. Those engines are near bulletproof. Interested to see what's involved in a clutch swap and if there are any other weak points to the transmission.

OP
mruff1975
Reactions
Thread Starter #52
Just received the modified turbos back from cr performance hoping to get the truck into the shop (Ford dealer lol) for the downpipe/turbo install sometime this week. Adam (zfg racing) has a 93/94 and a e40/e50 tune we are going to try out. Hoping the xdi evo pump and the stock injectors can give this thing enough fuel.

Attachments

Reactions
Congrats man...that is big-time! Looking forward to hearing feedback/results when everything is installed/tuned.

Did you have them built and then going to send you old Turbos back to CRP? Is that the more expensive option?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

OP
mruff1975
Reactions
Thread Starter #54
I bought turbos from my buddy at the dealer and sent them up to him. I got a fairly good deal on the turbos (cost and paid cash) cr is only a few hours away from me shipping was fairly cheap

Reactions
Good deal

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

OP
mruff1975
Reactions
Thread Starter #56
I didn’t see the price increase from stage 3 to stage 5 until they send me the bill hahahaha that was a bit of a shock but I had already committed.
Funny story though....

My 11 year old signed for the fed x delivery. Dog escaped ran around the street for a bit then came in with muddy feet. My wife lost it... called me and said “that blue truck gets a lot more gifts then I do”
I told her “yeah but she’s a lot younger hun”

OP
mruff1975
Reactions
Thread Starter #57
I may be living in the truck soon... at least it will be fast hahaha

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I may be living in the truck soon... at least it will be fast hahaha
My wife told me that if I buy one more thing with wheels under it, it had better be a camper, because I'm going to have to live in it.

OP
mruff1975
Reactions
Thread Starter #59
Hahahahahahahaha that’s funny.

she’s making lunch right now with a wine glass in her hand. 1pm. I may have a beer. Anyone else drinking more since this covid thing started up hahahaha or is it just my family

OP
mruff1975
Reactions
Thread Starter #60
17 hours of labour and the turbos, downpipes and new plugs are installed. The mechanic said next time he would just drop the motor to access that passenger side turbo it was a massive headache

We did some tuning last night and managed a 117mph 1/4 trap speed lol I am in snow tires and the weather in Toronto is a bit dicey but the truck is making some power

Shout out to Adam from zfg for staying up till 1230 doing some late night tuning lol This guys a champ.... if you know Adam you know what I am talking about