Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Problems with Radio, GPS, and Collision Assistance

eagleGSU

Reactions
Just curious if anyone has had any of the issues I've been facing with my explorer ST.

As far as the radio is concerned if I get out at a gas station, cut the car off, and get back in a few minutes later the radio will just not work. I have to cut the car off and let it sit for awhile before it'll work again. Really a pain in the ass.

The GPS just never works at all, it'll say I'm in a completely different city.

The collision assistance is now beeping as if I'm about to crash unnecessarily when there's nothing in my path.

I've taken it to the Ford dealership multiple times, but they can't seem to get it working.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
what version of sync do you have?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
It will be here (NOTE: this is an older version, 21194 is current build per Dale5403)... sync build.jpg

OP
E

eagleGSU

Reactions
Thread Starter #6
It will be here (NOTE: this is an older version, 21194 is current build per Dale5403)... View attachment 8750
Oh I gotcha.

Mine says "Build 21020_PRODUCT"

so I have an outdated software? When was it last updated? It wasn't long ago when I updated, and it was in the ford shop just a couple weeks ago. I figured they'd check for updates as well.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Oh I gotcha.

Mine says "Build 21020_PRODUCT"

so I have an outdated software? When was it last updated? It wasn't long ago when I updated, and it was in the ford shop just a couple weeks ago. I figured they'd check for updates as well.
21194 was released in late August.

OP
E

eagleGSU

Reactions
Thread Starter #8
21194 was released in late August.
Oh ok. I'm downloading it now. I hope it fixes my issues. Thanks for the response!

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Good luck with it. This version fixed the issues I was having, Been none at all since. Not sure if it will help the GPS or not.

OP
E

eagleGSU

Reactions
Thread Starter #10
Good luck with it. This version fixed the issues I was having, Been none at all since. Not sure if it will help the GPS or not.
Just finished the download. The GPS is still broken. =(

But haven't drove it around to see if the other issues are still there. Will report back in a few days whether or not the collision assistance, and random radio glitch is fixed.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
One thing you could try for the GPS is to do a soft reset. Press and hold the power on and fast forward buttons at the same time until it powers down. Takes a little while and it will power back up. I have heard of that working. Or the other fix I've heard of required a new antenna.

hbalek

Reactions
One thing you could try for the GPS is to do a soft reset. Press and hold the power on and fast forward buttons at the same time until it powers down. Takes a little while and it will power back up. I have heard of that working. Or the other fix I've heard of required a new antenna.
My GPS failed last summer and I had to do a factory reset. So far it works fine after several months.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I'd second the factory reset. I actually do that after most Sync updates because I keep mainly default Sync settings so it's easy.

Failing that, I'd recommend entering bezel diagnostics and in the GPS/satellite section, click DR Config reset. Your supposed to drive around after that taking a few right and left turns. Google how to enter bezel diagnostics because off-hand, I don't know how. Wish I could also reference the Ford service bulletin referencing the DR config reset but maybe try googling that also. My GPS issues weren't as bad as the OP's but periodically would be off by a mile. Haven't had issues recently with the recent SYNC editions and doing the DR config reset. If the GPS is not even close, I'd pressure the dealer to replace the GPS antenna first, and if that doesn't work, the APIM. Using bezel diagnostics, you can clearly see how many satellites are received so it should be pretty clear if it's wrong.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
My GPS failed last summer and I had to do a factory reset. So far it works fine after several months.
I'd second the factory reset. I actually do that after most Sync updates because I keep mainly default Sync settings so it's easy.

Failing that, I'd recommend entering bezel diagnostics and in the GPS/satellite section, click DR Config reset. Your supposed to drive around after that taking a few right and left turns. Google how to enter bezel diagnostics because off-hand, I don't know how. Wish I could also reference the Ford service bulletin referencing the DR config reset but maybe try googling that also. My GPS issues weren't as bad as the OP's but periodically would be off by a mile. Haven't had issues recently with the recent SYNC editions and doing the DR config reset. If the GPS is not even close, I'd pressure the dealer to replace the GPS antenna first, and if that doesn't work, the APIM. Using bezel diagnostics, you can clearly see how many satellites are received so it should be pretty clear if it's wrong.
Guess I didn't mention the hard reset because I have a number of changes I lose doing that. Lucky for me the soft reset has worked pretty well.

JBStrums

Reactions
also in Atlanta and don't have any of those issues.... BUT Im still under 500 mlles which is when I bring my list to the dealer.

Last edited:
Reactions

My, GPS has been a problem for the better part of this year. I performed several soft resets and hard resets as well. Nothing worked.

The dealer replaced the cable from the unit to the antenna and eventually the Antenna as well. They attempted doing some software upgrade (not available to us commoners…lol) nothing worked. The GPS was either frozen or in a different town all together.

The dealer brought the Ford Corporate technician and they finally replaced the APIM. This seems to have solved the problem.

ST_Addicts

Reactions
I’m having issues with my gps. Can’t really say when it occurred because I’ve been using Apple car play since I’ve had the car. But most recently noticed when the ford app did not allow me to start the vehicle or open/close the doors.

I’ve tried the hard reset and have had no luck. I’m currently out of warranty. Over 38k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Even when using Carplay, gps location data comes from the car not the phone so it'll be readily apparent that it's not correct.

OP
E

eagleGSU

Reactions
Thread Starter #19
It's been a few days since I updated the SYNC. The GPS is now working correctly for now. And the update seems to have fixed the other issues I was having as well. So far so good! Will report back if the issues ever return.

Thanks for all the help.

Reactions
Here we go again!

GPS is frozen and non functioning. SiriusXM constantly cutting in and out.

Performed 6 factory resets and dozens of soft resets nothing has worked.

Going back to dealer to get this fixed, but after having the APIM, cables and Antenna replaced once. I don’t hold out a lot of hope!