Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Powertrain light

Reactions
Vehicle
Still shopping
I don’t know if this belongs under problems or racing but it’s sort of both.
I operate a drag strip. My ST will have plenty of track time but we don’t plan on heavily modifying, we just bought it as a fun vehicle. Between track tests and just passes for fun we’ve probably put around 20 passes on it already since buying in June.
All of a sudden, the dash starts lighting up like a Christmas tree and the car goes into limp mode after a launch. It fixes itself after a few hours (not just one startup, but has had to be at least 2 hours).
The first time it did it, I had just goosed it to make my daughter laugh and the Powertrain light came on. a friend with a shop nearby tried diagnosing and clearing and couldn’t clear the Powertrain light. I drove it back in limp mode, and the next day it cleared itself.
Friday I went to do a track test like I’ve done many times before, as soon as I launched all kinds of lights came on. Powertrain, hill descent, it told me pre-collision warning was inoperable, hill descent was unavailable (it wasnt even on at the time), and a few other love notes on the dash.
Limped it backwards, parked it, tried a quick restart and nothing. 2 hours later it was like nothing happened.

we confirmed battery cable and battery itself is not loose, so any other ideas?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I would encourage all 2020+ Explorer owners get OBDLINK MX+ bluetooth OBDII adapter and Forscan Lite for your iOS or android. Keep the adapter in the car, find out what codes are brought up. There is likely something wrong with your car. A front half shaft speed sensor failure will often cause multiple system failure warnings like yours but in my experience, it doesn't send the car into limp mode. I bet a Forscan diagnostic would give you a better idea of what's wrong than a generic OBDII code reader.