Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Platinum vs st differences?

Reactions
New to the group, I did do a search in the archives and didn't see anything. My question is, how does the st make more power than the platinum? Is it just software or actual parts? I have a 2020 platinum

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
New to the group, I did do a search in the archives and didn't see anything. My question is, how does the st make more power than the platinum? Is it just software or actual parts? I have a 2020 platinum
Welcome to the forum.

Glad you joined us.

I never thought about that, but I would also like to know.

Both have the 3.0 .

Jim

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
^^^ This

Reactions
He asked specifically about power. There are a multitude of physical differences.
Is it solely tuning? So no difference on the engine internals?

Reactions
Is it solely tuning? So no difference on the engine internals?
I'm not 100% sure but it seems to really only be tuning that is different for them. I believe most tuners do both because it's the same engine.

Reactions
I'm not 100% sure but it seems to really only be tuning that is different for them. I believe most tuners do both because it's the same engine.
Right on. I actually would have considered the Platinum if I had known that. The seats are a bit more plush.

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
I would imagine there is something different in the heads (cam profile, intake/exhaust port size, etc.) but I honestly don't really know. It could be just tuning as noted above.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I would imagine there is something different in the heads (cam profile, intake/exhaust port size, etc.) but I honestly don't really know. It could be just tuning as noted above.
It’s just the tuning.

Reactions
Not engine related, but the ST does have a deeper final drive than the Platinum (3.58 vs 3.31).

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Not engine related, but the ST does have a deeper final drive than the Platinum (3.58 vs 3.31).
I think your response falls in line with the OP. He asked how it makes more power. While gearing doesn't "make" power, it does multiply it. I think if there are notable trans gearing differences, that should be noted as well... if anyone knows them.

Reactions
I think your response falls in line with the OP. He asked how it makes more power. While gearing doesn't "make" power, it does multiply it. I think if there are notable trans gearing differences, that should be noted as well... if anyone knows them.
I did some digging on the transmission gearing and it's the same for all models. Here is the info I found: 2020 Explorer Tech Specs
TransmissionGearRatio.jpg
The same file points to it being the exact same engine as well between the two physically.

What I find interesting is that the owners manual (I downloaded a copy) makes it seem like the ST is different, but it's not.

Edit: More info

I did find on CarAndDriver that the final gear ratio is different if they are correct

Final Drive Axle Ratio :)1) 3.58 - ST
Final Drive Axle Ratio :)1) 3.31 - Platinum

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions
Tuning is the difference between ST and LEO ? Which is faster? Different exhaust too I’d imagine.
Police Interceptors are the hybrid models. At least here they are.