Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Platinum Trim Headlamps on an ST

Reactions
Hey, y'all.

Does anyone know if the adaptive headlamps from a Platinum could be put on to the ST and retain their functions, or even operate for that matter?

I saw one this evening up close and it's like they have projector housings and the light output seems much more clean in comparison to the ST.

Thanks!

Reactions
Will check with my service department tomorrow morning. I'll cross reference part numbers of the wiring harnesses and such and see if there are any differences.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Will check with my service department tomorrow morning. I'll cross reference part numbers of the wiring harnesses and such and see if there are any differences.
It may be a lot to ask, but I've got a question which a lot of people would like to know. Any difference between the 400 hp ST and the 365 hp Explorer engine? Only need to check part numbers on intake/exhaust cam (left or right bank, doesn't matter), Rod, and Piston. It's been suggested there is no difference, but if there were, those parts would be the ones that would most likely be different/upgraded.

Reactions
I'll dive into it tomorrow... I'll do my best! One of the techs will actually be installing my springs tomorrow!

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
It may be a lot to ask, but I've got a question which a lot of people would like to know. Any difference between the 400 hp ST and the 365 hp Explorer engine? Only need to check part numbers on intake/exhaust cam (left or right bank, doesn't matter), Rod, and Piston. It's been suggested there is no difference, but if there were, those parts would be the ones that would most likely be different/upgraded.
Tuning, though I couldn't prove there might not be other minor differences.

Reactions
Tuning, though I couldn't prove there might not be other minor differences.
I bet its the tune, no sense in putting in higher performance parts for 35 hp.

Jag was notorious for changing the tunes on the supercharged 5.0 found in the XJ, XF and F-Type.

The standard XJ and XF were rated at 470, the Rs were rated at 510 and the F-type R was 550. Same engine in all three with the only difference being the tune.

Which reminds me Explorer owners are bitching about the transmissions, go buy a Jag with the 5.0 and wait for the water pump seal to fail on the big aluminum engine with a blower mounted above it as it pisses coolant on the ground, some owners didn't notice until their block warped..... Luckily when I had mine I noticed the coolant smell and promptly got it in for the new water pump

Reactions
Cams are the same, pistons and rods are the same, fuel system all shares same part numbers...

When pulling AllData info on the 3.0L it doesn't give me an option to select Plat or ST and the part numbers from everything I looked for are the same so it's safe to say it is all in the tuning of the vehicle.

Trying to find info on the headlight swap!

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Cams are the same, pistons and rods are the same, fuel system all shares same part numbers...

When pulling AllData info on the 3.0L it doesn't give me an option to select Plat or ST and the part numbers from everything I looked for are the same so it's safe to say it is all in the tuning of the vehicle.

Trying to find info on the headlight swap!
Thanks for checking into that! We knew the tune was different, I just wondered if there were other changes that might have been introduced because of the upgraded tune- like forged rods or cam profiles. Means that any 3.0 could be tuned to same hp as the ST.

Reactions
Thanks for checking into that! We knew the tune was different, I just wondered if there were other changes that might have been introduced because of the upgraded tune- like forged rods or cam profiles. Means that any 3.0 could be tuned to same hp as the ST.
Yep! Spoke to Adam from ZFG, said both cars will make the same exact power. We'll just notice it more on the Platinum since they come with less power vs the ST.

Reactions
Alright so with the headlamps.. it's hard to give you an exact answer.

Definitely would need the Platinum Headlamp Assemblies and you'd also need a new HCM (Headlight Control Module).

Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 2.01.29 PM.png

Attached is the part number.

Next part is the tricky thing.. it says that after replacing the HCM.. it needs to be programmed to the computer. Not sure if there would be a problem programming the new part number HCM to the ST computer and whether or not you can use ForScan to do it.

Service guy said it's never been attempted so he has no idea how the reprogram would work.. he hasn't even done an HCM swap on a same model yet to see.

But other than that you should be able to swap it over and in theory program the ST to have the adaptive function.

OP
SilverST
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
Alright so with the headlamps.. it's hard to give you an exact answer.

Definitely would need the Platinum Headlamp Assemblies and you'd also need a new HCM (Headlight Control Module).

View attachment 6396

Attached is the part number.

Next part is the tricky thing.. it says that after replacing the HCM.. it needs to be programmed to the computer. Not sure if there would be a problem programming the new part number HCM to the ST computer and whether or not you can use ForScan to do it.

Service guy said it's never been attempted so he has no idea how the reprogram would work.. he hasn't even done an HCM swap on a same model yet to see.

But other than that you should be able to swap it over and in theory program the ST to have the adaptive function.
You're the MVP of the forum!
Thanks, man! I'll keep my eyes out for a wrecked platinum and see if it has salvageable lights and go from there.

Even if it didn't retain the adaptive function, they're still nicer looking lights in my opinion.