Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Plastic Trim on ST in bad shape.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST Agate Black
Anyone know of a good way to restore plastic trim? I've had my car detailed at a cheap place and they messed up the trip when they did a wax with their orbiter. Got a $2000 paint correction and 7 year ceramic now but the guy said the trim was the best he could get it. Beyond taking it to a body shop, have them take it off and essentially take a torch to it idk what to do. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
IMHO DON'T TAKE THE TRIM OFF.......I took one off and broke one of the clips. Tried to find that part (clip) and they don't exist in the Ford system. I reached out to friends at CAP who access the part purchase program for the plant and they said your SOL. To the point of going to the Tier 1 part supplier to Ford and even they couldn't get any. I got some aftermarket Tier 2 supplier ones, they fit poorly and the trim wasnt secure. The clips are considered part of the trim and if you break one your buying the entire piece of black trim. Mine were in bad shape and I had really good success with Adams VRP bringing them back after I cleaned them really well. Wheel cleaner or rubbing alcohol will also remove wax from trim.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
A heat gun works just as good as a torch…no need to remove anything to try it.