Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Pirelli tires

paul2363

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ST
Picking up an ST on Tuesday. Due to past experiences with Pirelli tires on my wife’s car I am considering the tire/wheel coverage. Had to replace three front tires in two years due to bubbles in the sidewall. The roads in our area really aren’t that bad, and Pirelli refused to stand behind their product. I could understand maybe one tire, but three in two years, really. I have never had this problem with any other tire brand on any of my vehicles. How well do these Pirelli’s stand up?

Reactions
I'm very happy with the Pirelli tires that came with my 2020 ST. They have 39K on them with no problems except one has a very slow leak, about 3 pounds of pressure a week. I'm beginning to shop for new Pirelli tires that are on special at my Ford dealer till the end of March with a $100 rebate. I was told it would cost $1737 mounted and balanced and I would get the $100 rebate as well. I also was told if I want a quieter ride to get the NCS style of Pirelli.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
@ST Grey There have been a lot of balance problems reported with the NCS foam pulling away from the inside of the tire. Much to be read on this forum regarding those tires. If I'm reading things right, most would tell you not to purchase that Pirelli.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Michelin or Continental as soon as mine give a whisper of a problem.

Reactions
I recently had Discount Tire install Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4. Very happy with the feel, response and smoothness. If they aren't quieter, they have the same road noise as stock Pirelli. For me, the Michelin tire is superior.

Last edited:
Reactions
Have almost 38k on mine, going to replace them this Saturday with another Pirelli set, didnt have any issues either.

Went with the Weather Active tires, read that they are one of the best all around and fit perfect with the 21's.

AkD3ntFix

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
they perform well a d provide great feedback to the driver. Just started putting miles on my second set.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I got the Pirelli Weather Active tires, so far they are awesome.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
The foam detached on one of my stock Pirelli's near replacement time. Of course this happened on a road trip, so I was driving highway speeds with a very unbalanced tire. I was already considering switching, and that sealed it for me. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4's I replaced them with do not have that stupid foam liner.

hbalek

Reactions
The foam detached on one of my stock Pirelli's near replacement time. Of course this happened on a road trip, so I was driving highway speeds with a very unbalanced tire. I was already considering switching, and that sealed it for me. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4's I replaced them with do not have that stupid foam liner.
I got the Falken Ziex turns out they have foam insulation in them too.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Another vote for Pirelli Weatheractives. Compared to my recollection of Micheline A/S4 when new, these are more comfy. Grip seems just as good. In fact, I recently had an emergency stop with brake assist activated and really saved me from rear-ending the car in front.

Reactions
Love the Weatheractive. Almost 3 weeks with them and already did some exploring with them lol They did amazing in small roads by the mountains, some trail roads and heavy rain. Grip, handling and braking were great and felt much better than the stock's.

Not as noisy either IMO. For being "winter" tires, they performed great in all other terrains and weather soo far for me.