Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Paint Problems

rll2

Reactions
I bought a 21 ST from the closest Ford dealer that had one in the color we wanted with the opinions we wanted, little over an hour one way.
I went to the dealer on a day when it was raining, first mistake
Went and picked it up, again on a day when it was raining, second mistake
Got the SUV home and washed it for the first time a day or so later
I found that the hood had a couple of factory flaws in the paint, PLUS it had a chip in the hood edge close to the windshield on the gap next to the right front fender
It also had a place straight across from the chip on the right front fender gap

Dealer said it was a Ford issue and they would need to get Ford's approval to fix it
Took my ST for deal to take picture to send to FORD
Ford approved it and they outsourced the paint work to a Louisville body shop and gave me a Escape to drive till car gets fixed
I called the dealer a few days later to be told that they had tried to reach me and left a message that my ST was ready to be picked up, didn't happen
Got to the dealer and the service man said here you go a freshly painted hood
I replied, but you didn't fix the fender
He replied, We'll have to take it back to be finished
So again I call the dealer and again they say SUV is here and ready to pick up
This time I asked for someone to inspect it before I make another 2 1/2 hour trip
Car is done
Take the car home and wash it
Still has paint issues, but now it's the Left side of the hood
I called the dealer 5 times this week
Was told that the Service Manager would call me this morning
Still waiting

2manycars4me

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Durango SRT Hellcat
Was it Oxmoor over in Louisville? I went over to look at one and was not impressed with the dealer. The sales person looked like someone had just woke him up from the grave. I ended up getting my second color of choice with all the options I wanted from a local dealer who did a dealer trade from up in Indy. Good luck with the paint.

OP
R

rll2

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Service Manager never called me
I called the Service department and asked for the Manager, was told he had already left for the day
Asked to talk with any Manager
Talked with the same person (Roland) that told me the Service Manager would call me
He kept apologizing for Service not calling
Said he had felt specific instructions for Service Manager to call me
Said that seeing it's a Ford issue
Service department will have to take care of it
I told Roland that I wasn't very happy about how this was being handled or the results that I had received so far
Supposed to get a call from both the service manager and the general manager tomorrow morning
Anybody got a number for Ford Motor Company, that's my next call

OP
R

rll2

Reactions
Thread Starter #4
If you ever have to call the Ford Motor Company Service Line
Do NOT hold your breath waiting for them to call back
I called and talked with someone that kinda spoke English
Was told my case was "escalated" and I would receive a call back within 24 hours
Did receive an email with a contact name and number, a day or two later
My wife and I both have left messages for Kamdon, because every time you call you get a message that he is busy
Wife called the regular Customer Service line again Friday and was told that we would get a call that day
Still no call, This is a joke
Don't want to let the same body shop that made the paint issues worse work on my ST again
But the dealer says this is the shop that Ford Motor Company has approved and it has to go there

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It's sad that this kind of stuff ever leaves Chicago Assembly. Any paint defect could have been resolved there. I had a couple of issues with my paint also, but decided the fix would be worse than the problem. Good luck getting yours fixed.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I bought a 21 ST from the closest Ford dealer that had one in the color we wanted with the opinions we wanted, little over an hour one way.
I went to the dealer on a day when it was raining, first mistake
Went and picked it up, again on a day when it was raining, second mistake
Got the SUV home and washed it for the first time a day or so later
I found that the hood had a couple of factory flaws in the paint, PLUS it had a chip in the hood edge close to the windshield on the gap next to the right front fender
It also had a place straight across from the chip on the right front fender gap

Dealer said it was a Ford issue and they would need to get Ford's approval to fix it
Took my ST for deal to take picture to send to FORD
Ford approved it and they outsourced the paint work to a Louisville body shop and gave me a Escape to drive till car gets fixed
I called the dealer a few days later to be told that they had tried to reach me and left a message that my ST was ready to be picked up, didn't happen
Got to the dealer and the service man said here you go a freshly painted hood
I replied, but you didn't fix the fender
He replied, We'll have to take it back to be finished
So again I call the dealer and again they say SUV is here and ready to pick up
This time I asked for someone to inspect it before I make another 2 1/2 hour trip
Car is done
Take the car home and wash it
Still has paint issues, but now it's the Left side of the hood
I called the dealer 5 times this week
Was told that the Service Manager would call me this morning
Still waiting
I purchased mine the same way. Dealer 1.5 hours away had the exact Explorer I was looking for. After a couple weeks a pin head size of paint popped on the rear hatch. So I took it to the closest dealer to me about 30 minutes away. They took pictures to get it approved from Ford and a day or 2 later they called and it was approved. Set up an appointment and they furnished a free loaner and it was fixed with no problem. My point is for a warranty issue you don't need to go where it was purchased. My servicing dealer has been great to work with. All dealers are not the same.

OP
R

rll2

Reactions
Thread Starter #7
I did try to go through my local Ford dealer
He said that the chip was NOT a Ford issue
And that Ford would not approve it getting repaired
I told him I bought it this way
He didn’t care
I told him I guess I’ll have to take it back to where I bought it
He said that was probably by best option

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I guess I'm lucky then that my local dealer isn't like that.