Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Paint flaws

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I guess this is proof I'm not very observant. Came home with my Iconic Silver 2022 ST May 11th. Just spotted this a few hours ago. I guess the light was just right. Thoughts, please. D68D6FDA-9D2B-4EBE-9525-AE3BD2CEF97B.jpeg 5BDFD7B3-947C-4104-83AF-B42BB3612FD3.jpeg D68D6FDA-9D2B-4EBE-9525-AE3BD2CEF97B.jpeg 39238FD2-7BD9-46D6-B1EB-03A3C5886B25.jpeg

Reactions
First of many little paint nuances that you'll notice. Mine has noticeable orange peel and had swirls throughout the entire body. Paint is extremely thin so detailer wont touch the orange peel and swirls were buffed out without issue. My suggestion would be to take it to a good detailer in the area to see if they can do a paint correction. Last place I would take it is back to the dealership. My dealership "corrected" some issues with my paint, which turned out to be worse than when I took it in.

Reactions
Looking more closely at yours now though looks to be the metallic flake added to the paint. Not too sure if this is normal with the iconic silver or something like overspray.

OP
J
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
Looking more closely at yours now though looks to be the metallic flake added to the paint. Not too sure if this is normal with the iconic silver or something like overspray.
I've never seen anything like it. I'm friendly with the sales manager at my dealership - I've sent the photos to him.

Reactions
I've never seen anything like it. I'm friendly with the sales manager at my dealership - I've sent the photos to him.
Damn near looks like particle board. Is it just that section or the entire paint job?

OP
J
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
Damn near looks like particle board. Is it just that section or the entire paint job?
It's just that long line - looks like a drip or run in the paint. Just looked at it in bright direct sunlight and I couldn't detect it.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I noticed a lot of issues with my paint when I took delivery. I notified them immediately and took it back to be rectified. It is has been approved by ford and getting correct.

Reactions
Very possible as volume seems to trump quality nowadays at the manufacturing plant. Could also be a panel repaint due to transport damage. Happens all the time. A couple of ways to check are, to have a paint tech or body shop measure the thickness of the coating and compare it to an adjacent panel with a mil gauge (paint thickness gauge). You can also open the door and look for a soft tape line close to the outer edge of the jamb.