Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Paddle Shift Swap / Driver steering wheel airbag removal

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer
So I had these carbon fiber paddle shifters made, but the company doesn't give any instruction on how to change them. Because its a complete replacement for the original shifter the first step is getting the airbag out. Has anyone had the airbag clock removed on the steering wheel.. the only thing online I found is. guy for a police interceptor, but it appears as though the ST steering wheel clock is lightly different on the ST. I can get the bottom to pop out, but when I try and release the 2 top clips I cant get anything to push successfully enough to release them. I know that I have to go through the 2 small holes, I tried an 4mm T Allen, and it goes in but I can seem to locate the sprint clip top release it.

Any help would be awesome.

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
So I had these carbon fiber paddle shifters made, but the company doesn't give any instruction on how to change them. Because its a complete replacement for the original shifter the first step is getting the airbag out. Has anyone had the airbag clock removed on the steering wheel.. the only thing online I found is. guy for a police interceptor, but it appears as though the ST steering wheel clock is lightly different on the ST. I can get the bottom to pop out, but when I try and release the 2 top clips I cant get anything to push successfully enough to release them. I know that I have to go through the 2 small holes, I tried an 4mm T Allen, and it goes in but I can seem to locate the sprint clip top release it.

It needs to be long enough to reach the spring and you have to push pretty hard. It’s only 2 holes. One on each side. Releasing one is easy once you located the spring loader. Once you feel it pop out a little go to the other side and press in hard on that spring and the whole airbag will move forward a good inch. Then just pull it out and release the harnesses. If you don’t feel the spring that means you went past it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ChefMAC283
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer
Thread Starter #3
Yeah I have tried. The bottom is now loose and I can’t even get it to lock back in place. I’m using the same T Allen you are. Just can’t get it to catch.

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Yeah I have tried. The bottom is now loose and I can’t even get it to lock back in place. I’m using the same T Allen you are. Just can’t get it to catch.

Sounds like one is still locked in place. It may seem unlocked but not. Take a picture ?

If it’s not going back in something is out of place.

OP
ChefMAC283
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer
Thread Starter #5

OP
ChefMAC283
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer
Thread Starter #6

I feel like I can’t find the right angle when I press it’s moving the airbag slightly. But doesn’t feel like a spring that I’m pushing on.

Nbk4t5e

Reactions

I feel like I can’t find the right angle when I press it’s moving the airbag slightly. But doesn’t feel like a spring that I’m pushing on.

The left side looks released. Now try and located the spring on the left side and push it hard . It “should” pop out. If not I don’t know man. Took a few tries the first time.

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
The left side looks released. Now try and located the spring on the left side and push it hard . It “should” pop out. If not I don’t know man. Took a few tries the first time.

Right side and push it hard. ***

OP
ChefMAC283
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer
Thread Starter #9
You don’t have a picture of it off do you, would help figure out exactly what I’m pushing on. Beside the fact of knowing it’s a spring.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST

Did you ever get the bottom part unlocked? I’m running into the same deal. The sides were fairly simply but that bottom part oh man lol