Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

P0128 Thermostat Stuck Open

Reactions
Morning guys, wondering if anyone could give me some advice on this one. Have a code PO128 Thermostat stuck open code. Its not coming up to operating temp so I assume that its either right or the sensors gone bad. Seems to still be blowing heat though so not real sure. I know the best thing to do would be to take it to dealer and let them figure it out but their saying they cant get me in for a week or so... if its simple enough id rather just do it myself. Any insight? Anyone had this issue before?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
If it is the thermostat, people have installed 170* thermostats without much fuss. I too would probably DIY rather than wait for the dealer.

OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
yeah I can see the housing, doesnt look to bad to get too but my main concern is how much of a pain are these things to burp/get the air out of?

Gsutavo

Reactions
I have the same code P0128 a month ago, it is low engine coolant temperature, I changed the thermostat to 170 degrees and the problem continued, they made a diagnosis and it showed problems with the ECT sensor, Ford has a bulletin where it recommends changing the sensor ECT and knock sensor and wiring harness

Gsutavo

Reactions
Does anyone know the code or part number for the ECT sensor or coolant temperature sensor? Thank you

OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
So oddly enough mine decided to fix itself before I had the chance... ordered a new sensor and thermostat from rock auto... keeping them on standby just incase. Heres the motorcraft part number for the sensor. More Information for MOTORCRAFT DY1446 (rockauto.com)

Gsutavo

Reactions
Sorry for the delay, thank you very much for the information, I will ask

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Anyone find a solution to this? Having the same issue now where my car won’t get over 150 degrees.

OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
Mine started doing again too, its sporadic though. I plan to try to do the thermostat and sensor this weekend, ill report my results.

Gatorst1r

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
I just installed the mishimoto 160° thermostat. About two days after I installed it I am now getting the same code and my car is not running temperature. Could it be that this car just can’t handle that thermostat or is it probably stuck open? I know I could just pop the hood take the box out and check it real quick but I don’t have the time, so just looking for some advice.

Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST
I just installed the mishimoto 160° thermostat.
They have a specific thermostat for the Explorer ST? I am not seeing it on their site.