Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Order Build Time

Reactions
Hi everyone, I am looking for some experiences with recent orders that you may have placed or build times that you may know of. Does anyone know what’s the approximate build time of a 2021 ST at the moment?I placed an order 2 weeks ago and don’t really know much about placing a special order. When should I expect to receive the Stock and VIN # from my dealer so I can track the status online? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
If inventory issues are the same down there as they are up here... I would say there is no ETA. Anytime someone has put a special order in recently we are not giving ETAs as we as dealerships have absolutely no idea. It's normally an 8-10 week turnaround time but with everything going on it's hard to know for sure.

We are completely out of 2021 Explorers on my lot, and Edges, and F150s, and Expeditions, and Super Duties.... lol we have about 6 new Escapes and thats it.

We are being told it could be like this all year until they get caught up once production is at 100%. I do know they are focusing on Retail Orders over Stock Orders so your build SHOULD take precedence.

OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Thank you for the detailed response!

dtmenace

Reactions
I placed my order in early June and the dealer has reported that they are expecting it at the end of august. I think that’s still optimistic tho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PGas32

Reactions
As a data point, I ordered in early July and just today heard that my build is scheduled for the week of 9/27...so probably mid-late October for delivery. Which isn't a problem, but the fact that this will be a 2021 doesn't sit that well with me...oh well, should've just waited a couple more weeks for a '22 build slot.

OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
As a data point, I ordered in early July and just today heard that my build is scheduled for the week of 9/27...so probably mid-late October for delivery. Which isn't a problem, but the fact that this will be a 2021 doesn't sit that well with me...oh well, should've just waited a couple more weeks for a '22 build slot.
Similar situation here! Ordered June 4th and being told delivery should be October 4th. I’m not going to hold my breathe though.

Last edited:

STmtn

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions
Similar situation here! Ordered June 4th and being told delivery should be October 4th. I’m not going to hold my breathe though.

Another similar situation! Ordered June 8th... Got VIN and order number but no delivery date yet... Maybe in the next few days I will get an update???
(Original... est. was late aug. or beginning of sept.)

OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
Another similar situation! Ordered June 8th... Got VIN and order number but no delivery date yet... Maybe in the next few days I will get an update???
(Original... est. was late aug. or beginning of sept.)
I think my dealer told me October 4th so I leave them alone!

Tenshun

Reactions
I placed my order in the first week of May. They pushed my build out a bunch of times already, and it's STILL just showing "in production"

PGas32

Reactions
Let me ask you guys this - if you weren't already, is anyone thinking of leasing given that our new 2021's are immediately going to be a model year old? I've never leased before, but I'm considering it now because it puts more of the depreciation risk on Ford, not me...although I'm sure they'll adjust the residual a bit to account for this, so maybe it's a moot point anyway. Thoughts?

Mstryszo

Reactions
When the dealer provides you with your VIN and Order number can you pull up your window sticker right away? What I’m trying to get at is at what point in time is a window sticker available?
Let me ask you guys this - if you weren't already, is anyone thinking of leasing given that our new 2021's are immediately going to be a model year old? I've never leased before, but I'm considering it now because it puts more of the depreciation risk on Ford, not me...although I'm sure they'll adjust the residual a bit to account for this, so maybe it's a moot point anyway. Thoughts?
My original plan was to lease, but went with financing. The cost of the lease is very expensive right now compared financing. Lease for a loaded ST is around $850 a month for 10k miles a year. If you can finance at 1.9% APR for 60 months and put down 10% your payment would be less than $1000 a month. Go forward 3 years of ownership and being able to sell the car at 68% msrp loss of 20k over 36 months works out to $555 a month. My math might be off a little but this give you a ball park idea.

STmtn

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions
Leasing never crossed my mind, I only buy my cars. I keep cars a long time and my commute is short. so no need to lease... "love my cars long time"