Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Orange Peel

Reactions
While washing the truck, I found extensive orange peel on the rear fender. Is this warrantable? Honestly, Ford has been painting vehicles since shortly after they invented the wheel, they must really be screwed up in their factories.

anyone else noticed this?

Reactions
I had mine detailed beside a 2021 $95k Shelby. The detailer showed me that the Shelby had worse orange peel than the Explorer.
We did find two flaws in my paint. One on roof, just a spot, the other is obvious something in the paint at top edge of windshield. Must be Chicago manuf stuff as my SHO, also made there, had something in the paint at top of rear windshield and on hood.
They are mass produced and not built with the care of uber expensive makes.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

OP
X
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
The thing is, they are painted by robots. They should all be identical. Such crap.

motormac

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
One guy, a few years ahead of me, would ask for orange peel on his paint, so that he could compound and polish to his level of finish and shine. I do not want orange peel on my brand new robotic painted vehicle, and my 2021 ST has a great finish. It must have been painted by a human, while the robots were on the Friday afternoon break.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I've been over my paint with a ScanGrip light. I'm actually amazed at how little orange peel mine came with for a vehicle from the big 3.

@Xsbank I mean no offense with this post but having read most of your posts and the "flavor" of them, I think you'd be better off to dump your vehicle. Even if you take a hit, life is to short to drive a vehicle that you are unhappy with virtually everything about it. With the shortage of new available vehicles, I'll bet you could move it.

Reactions
A little late to this thread but noticed a lot of orange peel on my ST. Would this be covered by Ford's manufacturer warranty? If so, would you trust a dealership correcting the issue or just drop a few hundred to have a professional detailer take care of the issue?

Reactions
A little late to this thread but noticed a lot of orange peel on my ST. Would this be covered by Ford's manufacturer warranty? If so, would you trust a dealership correcting the issue or just drop a few hundred to have a professional detailer take care of the issue?
They usually won't, it is a very hard thing to get approved. Do you have pics of how bad it is?

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Factory paint is to thin I would be scared to burn it. I wouldnt have bought it if it was that bad.

Reactions
It won't show up in pictures no matter what angle I tried taking them. Definitely noticeable in person though. Also, afraid of how thin the paint is as well. I'm taking it to a detailer that has nothin but 100+ 5 star reviews down the road to get their opinion. I know they have tools that can measure the depth of the paint/finish.

Reactions
Detailer said they won't touch orange peel. Also, got some pricing for ceramic coating along with services outlined included. Anyone here think the pricing is worth it? ST is mostly garage kept, black paint and in FL.

1655833535296.png

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I personally don't know prices sorry. I know I am going to do the Xpel- PPF in flat or matte finish. I have not even priced it yet. I am finishing some other builds first.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
If you were to pick one, I'd suggest the SB3 Alpha. Based on pricing, warranty, polishing, etc.

RedundanT

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
I work at a Tier 1 facility that supplies Ford, GM, and Toyota with painted fascias. We HAVE to build in so much orange peel to match the rest of the vehicle. Too little and we get dinged. Silly yes, but that is the state of car paint today.

Reactions
I would ask to see the warranties on any of the options you are looking at. I guarantee there are significant loopholes and requirements that can definitely add up to big money.