Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Oil Life Monitor

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Hi Everyone,
About 3 weeks ago I changed the oil in my 2022 ST. I reset the oil monitor to100%.
I have only driven about 500 miles since the oil change, I have moved the vehicle around in the driveway and into the street several times so other cars can be driven.

So now the oil life monitor reads 76% life left.
Am I missing something.?

Thanks
Alan

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
That’s how oil life vs mileage/time works. With those short run times, the cold oil resultin excess aromatic acids and moisture build up that shorten the oil “life”.

If you were to start it once and drive 10,000 miles non-stop the oil would be less damaged than if you started it 1000 times and drove only 1 mile each time.

Im not privy to the exact formula Ford uses, but they’re all based on run time, temperature, and cycles thereof.

OP
A
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Ok that what I thought. So If I ignore the life monitor and change the oil every 5-6000 miles with fulll synthetic I should be oK.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
That's really unusual. The oil life for me is around 10k miles no matter how I'm driving it seems.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
500 miles in three weeks is the same as I drive. The oil was changed when I bought it in June. The oil life is currently at 43%. That does include a 2,600 mile road-trip in July. That stretched it out, of course.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
That's really unusual. The oil life for me is around 10k miles no matter how I'm driving it seems.
Same here. Also when I change mine.

Reactions
How do you access the information for monitoring the oil?

OP
A
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
How do you access the information for monitoring the oil?
you can check it with the Ford Pass app on your phone, of go into the menu settings on your steering wheel to get to that setting