Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Oil life meter

BigAnt75

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
So I have full synthetic that I just got done in December and now my oil light is coming on saying I have 0% oil life remaining and I have only put 5K in miles since then. I am showing no oil leaks at all so wondering is this just going off the 5K mark or is this serious that I need to get an oil change? Seems a little early but don’t want to risk it. Any of you experienced the same thing?

Nine29

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
You sure it was reset when you had it changed?

OP
BigAnt75

BigAnt75

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Didn’t really pay attention as I got it down at the dealer. So are we thinking it’s based on the mileage and not really low oil?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Silver Spruce Explorer ST
So I have full synthetic that I just got done in December and now my oil light is coming on saying I have 0% oil life remaining and I have only put 5K in miles since then. I am showing no oil leaks at all so wondering is this just going off the 5K mark or is this serious that I need to get an oil change? Seems a little early but don’t want to risk it. Any of you experienced the same thing?
1. Good on you for doing a full-synth change.
2. Unless you have regularly been making laps on a race course, you haven't worn out a full-synth oil change at 5K.
3. The above notwithstanding, as cheap insurance, maybe do another "just-in-case" change and definitely make sure the oil life monitor is reset.

hbalek

Reactions
Mine has always displayed 100% after an oil change and then at about 500 miles or 4% of oil life used, the meter reads 96% then will display 0% when it should be 95% then after a few days will resume normal display of 94%. It has done this for over 3 years since it was brand new. I've never told the dealer. When the display is saying 0% it's actually 95% on the FordPass app. So check the FordPass app and see if it's also at 0%. This one of many weird elecronic glitches on this vehicle. Also check the oil see if it's actually low, I guess. I get mine changed every 4K miles and the oil life is usally around 60%, based on Ford's recommended 10K mile intervals.

Last edited:

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Reset the oil life meter and continue to change with quality synthetic oil every 10K miles. Check the oil level every so often and you will be fine.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Like others have said, dealer probably didn't reset the Oil Life. If you choose to go a full 10k, then reset the Oil Life yourself and make note when you are due in 5k more. You should probably check your oil level anyway, just to be safe.

If it were me, I'd do an oil change. I do a full synthetic oil change every 5k along with a tire rotation just to keep some maintenance items lined up.

Last edited:

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
If you do 10k mile changes, definitely check the oil level at 5k. Mine needs about 1/2 qt.

Reactions
Mine always goes from about 98% to 0% then back to 98 or 97% within the first week after an oil change. Some weird glitch.

hbalek

Reactions
Mine always goes from about 98% to 0% then back to 98 or 97% within the first week after an oil change. Some weird glitch.
Haha I guess I'm OCD and always checking that screen. But mine is consistently skipping over 95%

Explorer ST Posts