Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Oil leaking/pooling

CH46E

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
I think the two issues are related. The drives side strut tower has oil pooling on it. It appears to be engine oil. But have not ruled out the shock could be leaking.

The drivers side valve cover has a hose over it (just under the aluminum line in the pic) that looks to have some kind of fabric tape or wrap on it. It is saturated with oil. You guys ever seen this before?

20211101_205854.jpg 20211101_205947.jpg 20211101_205929.jpg 20211101_205939.jpg

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
I had my camshaft solenoids replaced and a few days ago I noticed some drips of oil on the floor in a few spots. Hasn’t happened since. No obvious oil in the engine bay like you have in the pics. Mine’s probably a oil pan gasket issue. Did you blow the shock? Or shock seal is faulty? I’m not sure shock oil could get on top of strut tower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Here's a dumb question....Did you just have a oil change done, check the oil or have it worked on? Seen stuff like this a bunch when people don't pay attention and sling oil from the dip stick all over the place when they check it or they don't wipe it off then lay it down somewhere under the hood like a strut mount. The oil drips off and dirt sticks to is just like these pic

I had my camshaft solenoids replaced and a few days ago I noticed some drips of oil on the floor in a few spots. Hasn’t happened since. No obvious oil in the engine bay like you have in the pics. Mine’s probably a oil pan gasket issue. Did you blow the shock? Or shock seal is faulty? I’m not sure shock oil could get on top of strut tower.
Same thing, they probably didn't clean it after the work was done. Customer gets home and finds a drip on the floor because the technician didn't clean it off well. Stuff drives me nuts due to sloppy technicians

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Here's a dumb question....Did you just have a oil change done, check the oil or have it worked on? Seen stuff like this a bunch when people don't pay attention and sling oil from the dip stick all over the place when they check it or they don't wipe it off then lay it down somewhere under the hood like a strut mount. The oil drips off and dirt sticks to is just like these pic

Same thing, they probably didn't clean it after the work was done. Customer gets home and finds a drip on the floor because the technician didn't clean it off well. Stuff drives me nuts due to sloppy technicians
Oil change is a part of the camshaft solenoid job.

OP
CH46E

CH46E

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
They said they changed the oil when I purchased it. I'll clean everything off and check again in a few days.

Thanks

Reactions
Oil change is a part of the camshaft solenoid job.

Yeap, most of the time oil and fluids get trapped on spots that don't get cleaned off well like on top of skid plates and other components
They said they changed the oil when I purchased it. I'll clean everything off and check again in a few days.

Thanks
No problem... The best way to get rid of most residue is go to a parts store and get yourself a $3 can of BrakeKleen or brake parts cleaner, spray it down, wipe off what you can and if you have a air compressor blow it off dry.