Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Oil Change Woes

Reactions
Took the ST to the same dealership I’ve been it using since 2016 with my F150. I’ve always gotten my oil changes there and have had no issues. With my 150 I do the synthetic blend and it’s around $49.99.

Took the ST in for its first oil change. Opted for the full synthetic. After two hours it was finally finished, except the oil life meter was not reset, there was no oil change reminder sticker, and there wasn’t even any fingerprints in my very dusty Explorer hood. They assured me the oil was changed when I walked back in and asked if they even serviced the vehicle, but who knows ‍♂

Has anyone he luck at any of the drive through oil change places like Valvoline/JiffyLube? I’m starting to think I would feel much better if I could actually see what is being done to the vehicle, but also don’t want inferior oil/filters being used. Any advice?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I'd check the dipstick for clean oil!

Really, use your reward points in the dealer parts department on oil filters, cabin filters, etc. I think you are better off doing oil changes yourself. Many of us use the vacuum extraction method where everything is done from above and is easy peasy. Call me paranoid but I don't trust people to put full synthetic even though you paid for it.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
We HAD been using one of those drive-thru oil change places. We do all our cars in a single day. The following morning, I found oil on the garage floor under one of them. Took over an hour of discussion and fiddling to get that resolved.

Reactions
Look for obvious smudges in the dirt on the oil cap. Check the oil - new oil will be fairly clear and probably slightly yellowish. Look at the oil filter housing for signs of dirt disturbed or recent wipedown. It is very easy to not touch the outer surface of the hood on these cars, I do it on the regular. Lack of any fingerprints on the hood is not conclusive. I was an oil change tech for over 7 years, and those of us who were any good at all always made sure to avoid leaving smudges on the paint whenever we could - less work than wiping them down. There are plenty of gaps to get fingers in underneath the hood to lift it without touching the exterior, and the hood has to be dropped from a good height to get through the double latching mechanism so again - no need to touch the exterior of the hood.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I took my rides to a nearby quick-change oil place for years. Never had an issue - all the staff were car-guys. Lately I've been letting the dealer do the ST for the warranty records. The Mustang gets done in the driveway.