Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Oil barley touching the dip stick 1000 miles

Reactions
So I go to do my first oil change and I check the dip stick out of curiosity and the damn thing was below the lowest hole. Barley touching the dip stick.

Car just hit 1k miles and theres never been any oil drips under the car.

did the factory just mess up and not put enough oil? And will there be any damage to my engine?

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
All you will get here is opinions. If you did the oil change yourself, how much oil did you get out? My personal opinion is you'll be alright. Maybe call the dealer and let them know what you found.

OP
D
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
All you will get here is opinions. If you did the oil change yourself, how much oil did you get out? My personal opinion is you'll be alright. Maybe call the dealer and let them know what you found.
I decided not to mess with anything until I talk with the dealer.

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I decided not to mess with anything until I talk with the dealer.
Good idea, better to get it documented.

ST-KK

Reactions
So I go to do my first oil change and I check the dip stick out of curiosity and the damn thing was below the lowest hole. Barley touching the dip stick.

Car just hit 1k miles and theres never been any oil drips under the car.

did the factory just mess up and not put enough oil? And will there be any damage to my engine?
Did you check after the engine had been off for 15 minutes? Ford released a communication on the low oil level if you check before waiting 15 minutes

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hard to say if anything is wrong unless you checked the dipstick when new and it was full. I'm at 8500 mi since my last oil change and it is on the low side on the dip stick.

Reactions
No damage done. If the oil level got low enough to cavitate the oil pump, you’d get a low oil pressure warning and most likely the engine would shut down to save it from damage. I’ve got 5,500 and now ready for my 2nd oil change with no oil usage at all.

Reactions
I’m at 4322 miles. Checked the oil yesterday and it was below the 2nd hole. But the truck had only been sitting an hour or so. Made a mental note to check it in the morNing. Now it’s maybe half a quart low. But, on a new motor, is it fairly common? I’ve seen some on here who have had worse, some no usage. But, it here an overall consensus?