Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Official Curbing Thread

GTP

Reactions
I mean, ****, you hit the curb so hard it broke an axle? /s
Not the axle.
Broke the knuckle, both control arms, tie rod end, and punched a hole in the dust shield.

Oh, and it slightly bent the steering rack such that it was a little tight and wouldn't naturally self-center. You'd think the dealer would have noticed this during a short test drive.

I should start a "GTP's UNbuild" thread.

20210414_102449.jpg

20210414_102624.jpg

20210414_102439.jpg

Reactions
Thanks for the nightmares!!! My wife has damaged at least one rim on two nice vehicles (one on an Escalade and the other on the Explorer we traded in), she's also ripped the passenger side mirror off twice of the other Explorer. Neither of this has happened with the ST. She backs out of the garage slower than a snail and folds the mirrors in at the door. Hopefully she will be as cautious with the rims. Hell, on our Escalade, she just about tore a hole in the sidewall she hit the curb so hard.

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thanks for the nightmares!!! My wife has damaged at least one rim on two nice vehicles (one on an Escalade and the other on the Explorer we traded in), she's also ripped the passenger side mirror off twice of the other Explorer. Neither of this has happened with the ST. She backs out of the garage slower than a snail and folds the mirrors in at the door. Hopefully she will be as cautious with the rims. Hell, on our Escalade, she just about tore a hole in the sidewall she hit the curb so hard.
I can't say anything, I've taken both mirrors off of my F1fiddy backing out of the garage.

Reactions
Had the very same thing happen to me last week. But it was my fault. I was/am pissed at myself. Dealer quoted me 700 for a new wheel. But then came back and said they have a 3rd party “wheel doctor” that will fix it for $280 and guarantees I won’t notice it’s not new looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Had the very same thing happen to me last week. But it was my fault. I was/am pissed at myself. Dealer quoted me 700 for a new wheel. But then came back and said they have a 3rd party “wheel doctor” that will fix it for $280 and guarantees I won’t notice it’s not new looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Check out the Detroit Wheel and Tire website. They do oem wheel exchanges and repairs. Give them a call.

GTP

Reactions
Here is what happened. I call this "Book Drop Debacle".
Note max speed recorded was only 16mph. (Maybe up to 20mph, since the camera seems to update once per second,)

I was in Hold mode, but because the chute is 1-foot shorter than it should be, and because I've curbed a rim before in this "bus stop" style book drop lane, I was very leery of staying away from the curb, too. So I leaned out the window to reach the chute, and the car suddenly took off like it was possessed. Apparently I pushed against the floorboard right where the accelerator pedal was.

About a $7000 lesson to put the trans in Park instead of using the Hold feature.

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
GTP, that was the "Perfect Storm" of events for that to happen. Once everything's replaced it will be good as new. (y)

GTP

Reactions
GTP, that was the "Perfect Storm" of events for that to happen.
So true. You can see it was even a stormy day!

Once everything's replaced it will be good as new. (y)
OMG, I could start another complete thread about how my dealer has performed the shoddiest work for this repair. The accident was April 11th, and I am still dealing with the aftermath. I have documented every misstep on their part, and it is (so far) a 4-page report with 20 supporting photos.

Stuff like:
  • Wrong knuckle ordered causing about 10 days of unnecessary delay.
  • Wrong tire ordered causing 2 days delay.
  • Splash covers not properly re-fastened.
  • Parts paid for but not replaced.
  • Car not properly road tested to discover the steering has a problem.
  • 3 days delay because Memphis Ford Parts Depot just did not feel like doing their job of shipping.
  • New wheels scratched and gouged multiple times.
  • Missing fasteners, wrong fasteners.
  • Wrong technique when replacing battery caused MegaFuse failure, and loss of use.
  • Wrong lifting technique damaged side runner brackets, which leads to early onset rusting and decreasing the life of our car.
"You stop taking your car in for service when they return it with a new problem that is small enough to live with."

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
this happened last fall. I had to choose between hitting a jogger crossing street illegally or the curb. Unfortunately I hit the curb right at a storm drain. otherwise there probably wouldn't have been any damage. Instead, new wheel, tire, control arm, tie rod and a few other surprisingly inexpensive parts (maybe $250, excluding wheel and tire). after picking it up, I noticed a 'grinding' sound at highway speed when turning. took it back, dealer replaced wheel bearing. after that all seems fine.

Attachments

GTP

Reactions
@sadeen
What speed do you estimate when you hit the curb?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I was turning left at an intersection after being at a stop, and hitting the brakes as I diverted, couldn't have been more than 5mph at impact, but hit the storm drain with the wheel turned left (right side hit), so I hit with the wheel kinda parallel with the storm drain, it was a hard impact for sure.

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I would have to imagine that law enforcement are tearing up a lot of front end parts on their Explorers.

Reactions
Has anyone done at home touch up repair on the rim with some sanding, grinding and finding the correct code gloss black?

Reactions
Well just did this today on the way to work. There was a pile of snow that wasn't all snow. :mad:

Attachments

Last edited:

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Oh, man! That's the kind of thing that knowing it was there would drive me crazy. I'd have to have it repaired/replaced.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
This thread is awesome and my wife is now warned that this page exists and hopefully do not have to post on here

Reactions
Oh, man! That's the kind of thing that knowing it was there would drive me crazy. I'd have to have it repaired/replaced.
I will wait until the spring to do anything about it. It is going to be a long winter who knows what else I will run into :rolleyes: