Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Noise at Idle

SVT3571

Reactions
Vehicle
03 TT Cobra || 21 ST
Hello all,

Recently picked up a 21’ ST and have been trying to figure out what this noise is. It disappears with throttle over 1K and only seems present during idle. Couldn’t find anything similar online so I thought I’d ask here!

https://youtube.com/shorts/RxTrlBowJ-k?feature=shared

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Welcome to the forum.

Reactions
Sounds like it could be a number of things from something as simple as the dust cover contacting the flywheel or something more serious like rod knock. Grab yourself an auto stethoscope and see if you can pinpoint. If you can pinpoint from top end around valve covers, could be valve or cam related. If it's lower end around the oil pan, could be rod knock. Transmission area, could be dust cover, flywheel, torque converter, etc. Also, does it only happen on cold start and disappear when the engine warms up to temp? Or, is it always there?

OP
SVT3571

SVT3571

Reactions
Vehicle
03 TT Cobra || 21 ST
Thread Starter #4
I’m probably going to book it in at my local dealer to check it out since it’s still under warranty but just wanted to see if it was some weird normal thing that they will turn around and say “normal noise, nothing to worry about” like they do with gen3 Coyote engines lol

Reactions
I hear ya. I haven't seen anything on this forum quite like what you are experiencing.

OP
SVT3571

SVT3571

Reactions
Vehicle
03 TT Cobra || 21 ST
Thread Starter #6
Update:

Remote started the car after sitting over 24hrs, got in about 10 mins after that and the noise wasn’t present at idle. Nice and quiet… then after 2-3 more minutes of sitting at idle the noise slowly began and maintained throughout my drive of about 5 mins everytime the RPM hit 1000 or lower. Got fuel, turned back on and noise was present right away (so maybe cold engine = no noise?)

It’s booked in to be looked at next week. Curious to know wtf it is! Here’s another with clear audio, I’ll be sure to update with the findings to document for anyone in the future who may run into this , whatever it is

https://youtube.com/shorts/_giS5DwSHgc?feature=shared

outside & inside:

https://youtube.com/shorts/qqIqV5wh9bo?feature=shared

Last edited:
OP
SVT3571

SVT3571

Reactions
Vehicle
03 TT Cobra || 21 ST
Thread Starter #7
Ford called.. just as I suspected. “Normal noise” and claiming it’s TSB SSM51665 with no drivability issues or repair required. Annoying.

IMG_6040.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST
That would drive me nuts.

sdreefer619

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 EXPLORER ST
I would take it to another dealer for a second opinion or have the shop foreman look at it. There is a tsb for phasers in these eco boost engines