Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New York State inspection with a tune.

DsSalST

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I have decided that I am going to do some bolt ons and a tune to my 2020 I just picked up, after browsing the internet it seems that a car with an aftermarket tune will not pass NYS inspection (new law apperantly) but I am getting alot of conflicting answers, I know it's kind of a specific question but any Info would be appreciated.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
How the heck are they going to know you have a tune?

OP
D

DsSalST

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Thread Starter #3
How the heck are they going to know you have a tune?
If I understand correctly, NYS made shops buy new software that gives the factory ECU parameters when the VIN is entered and if it dosen't match it is an automatic fail, some people say they are passing fine with a tune thought and some not.

njtta150

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford
Why not flash back to stock tune a couple days before inspection , then return to performance tune after?

Sent from my SM-T307U using Tapatalk

OP
D

DsSalST

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Thread Starter #5
A couple of people said they did that and still failed because the new inspection software can see if your car was flashed recently.

Srthellcat

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
22 Explorer ST
I’m in NY just passed inspection last month 2 months overdue since I had the same vehicle for 15 yrs and was use to Feb inspection and forgot. I have all the normal upgrades including downpipes with a ZFG tune and it went right through. Check engine lights and tinted windows is also an issue now unless you know someone or you get an inspector that plays blind that day.

OP
D

DsSalST

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Thread Starter #7
Thanks for the reply, the info I have been reading is all over the place, I am just going with pretty standard stuff, intercooler, cai, exhaust, catchcan, tune, and I would hope the mechanic I have been going to for almost 20 years would pass me if I tint match my front windows to the rear...but then again this is NY and everything is stupid.

njtta150

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford
A couple of people said they did that and still failed because the new inspection software can see if your car was flashed recently.
If it is like NJ you need x number of key cycles for something to reset in the computer. I forget exactly what it was.

Srthellcat

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
22 Explorer ST
If it is like NJ you need x number of key cycles for something to reset in the computer. I forget exactly what it was.

My hellcat if I disconnect the battery or if it drops to low in voltage will reset all the ready statuses for inspection then it has to be driven for a bit till they show ready but after that she goes right through also tuned and lots of other stuff. The guys at the dealer don’t understand how it legally passes lol.

88lx50

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I just had an inspection done today and I asked the shop owner about this. He said as long as all the monitors are ready it will pass. You can’t have any of them tuned out such as rear O2 sensors.

OP
D

DsSalST

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Thread Starter #11
Awesome, that's what I was kind of thinking, that these people messed with the sensors and are just in a constant "not ready" status.