Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New to the ST Family

domcard

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Hello Everyone,

I just purchased a brand new black on black 2023 Explorer ST. I had a 2020 Explorer Platinum but was tired of the grandpa look so decided to switch over once my lease was up. The first thing I did when I got this home was order a set of black lug nuts as the chrome ones were an eye sore and swapped out the front and rear logos to all black ones. I have a big order of parts coming in and am excited to tweak this solid platform to add some much needed power and aesthetics to this SUV.

List of parts already on the way for this build includes the following...

Suspension:
H&R Lowering Springs
Steeda Front Sway Bar
Steeda Rear Sway Bar
Steeda Strut Tower Bar
Steeda 1.25" Wheel Spacers

Performance:
Borla S Type 2.5 inch Cat Back Exhaust
Whipple Mega Intercooler
aFe Momentum GT Cold Air Intake
Fenfabrication Charge Pipe w/ Turbo Smart BOV
AWR Rear Differential Mount
Velossa Tech BIG MOUTH Ram Air Intake Snorkel

Appearance:
FENFAB ECU cover
Zeus 3D Rear Diffuser
Waido Front Splitter

Parts on the list that I still need to purchase are the FenFab Downpipes and the ZFG Tune once everything is installed. Lead times are somewhat delayed on a few on these items but will update everyone with the progress as they come in and are installed. Will be installing most of these myself with the exception of the suspension components as I don't have a lift. I also want to color match the plastic trim pieces on the fenders and bumpers as well but that will be the last thing I do.

One question I have is in regards to the lowering springs - has anyone noticed any issues with the driver assist tech once the car has been lowered? I had my local performance shop tell me it would need to be recalibrated once installed and not sure if they are just trying to put me together.

Excited to be here and get this Explorer set up!

Attachments

Madisonville ST

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Hello Everyone,

I just purchased a brand new black on black 2023 Explorer ST. I had a 2020 Explorer Platinum but was tired of the grandpa look so decided to switch over once my lease was up. The first thing I did when I got this home was order a set of black lug nuts as the chrome ones were an eye sore and swapped out the front and rear logos to all black ones. I have a big order of parts coming in and am excited to tweak this solid platform to add some much needed power and aesthetics to this SUV.

Suspension:
H&R Lowering Springs
Steeda Front Sway Bar
Steeda Rear Sway Bar
Steeda Strut Tower Bar

Performance:
Whipple Mega Intercooler

Appearance:
FENFAB ECU cover
Zeus 3D Rear Diffuser
Waido Front Splitter

Parts on the list that I still need to purchase are the FenFab Downpipes and the ZFG Tune once everything is installed. Lead times are somewhat delayed on a few on these items but will update everyone with the progress as they come in and are installed. Will be installing most of these myself with the exception of the suspension components as I don't have a lift. I also want to color match the plastic trim pieces on the fenders and bumpers as well but that will be the last thing I do.

One question I have is in regards to the lowering springs - has anyone noticed any issues with the driver assist tech once the car has been lowered? I had my local performance shop tell me it would need to be recalibrated once installed and not sure if they are just trying to put me together.

Welcome to the forum.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST (AWD)
Welcome and ummmm.......dayuumm on that laundry list of goodies.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
Hello Everyone,

Suspension:
H&R Lowering Springs
Steeda Front Sway Bar
Steeda Rear Sway Bar
Steeda Strut Tower Bar

Performance:
Whipple Mega Intercooler

Appearance:
FENFAB ECU cover
Zeus 3D Rear Diffuser
Waido Front Splitter

Zero issues on driver asssit with H&R springs and Steeda Rear sway bar, have not tried the front yet, let us know how it handles!

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Hello Everyone,

Suspension:
H&R Lowering Springs
Steeda Front Sway Bar
Steeda Rear Sway Bar
Steeda Strut Tower Bar

Performance:
Whipple Mega Intercooler

Appearance:
FENFAB ECU cover
Zeus 3D Rear Diffuser
Waido Front Splitter

Welcome to the forum

OP
domcard

domcard

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
Zero issues on driver asssit with H&R springs and Steeda Rear sway bar, have not tried the front yet, let us know how it handles!
I definitely will. Hoping to have this tighten up the steering response as it is still somewhat of a boat. All the suspension parts arrived today and have a spot scheduled with my local shop around the corner on the 22nd to get the full suspension installed. Will report back with my thoughts and some pictures of the lowered ride height!

OP
domcard

domcard

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
Does anyone on here notice that their car is a complete and utter rattlebox? I have seen a few posts on here about this issue and am completed shocked that a car with less than 500 miles on it would have rattles of any sort - especially given this car has a window sticker price of $61k. Not sure if this is a common issue across the board or is on a case by case issue depending on individual build quality.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I'm pretty fussy about his sort of thing and I don't have rattle issues.

OP
domcard

domcard

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
I'm pretty fussy about his sort of thing and I don't have rattle issues.
When I took this back to the dealer the service department told there were no issues and that they could not hear anything. When I went into the second row and shook the seat in the back and it duplicated the noise I've been hearing they told me there was nothing they could do about that. They have already had to order a replacement trim piece for the roof rack since it is not flush with the roof and over 50 mph it makes a whistle noise. Seems like this might be a individual build quality issue from the factory.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I will say that I had the noisy seat issue within the first couple of months of ownership. That problem was as much about "feel" as it was "noise", the seat actually moved. The service bulletin repair using heater hose and hose clamps took care of that problem and it has not returned.

OP
domcard

domcard

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #11
I will say that I had the noisy seat issue within the first couple of months of ownership. That problem was as much about "feel" as it was "noise", the seat actually moved. The service bulletin repair using heater hose and hose clamps took care of that problem and it has not returned.
I have seen the threads that talk about the front seat. This is coming from the rear captains chairs. At any speed while going over the smallest of bumps the seats rattle. Going to try and rip the trim off them and see if anything is loose back there.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Yeah, I can't help there as I have the rear bench seat.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
I definitely will. Hoping to have this tighten up the steering response as it is still somewhat of a boat. All the suspension parts arrived today and have a spot scheduled with my local shop around the corner on the 22nd to get the full suspension installed. Will report back with my thoughts and some pictures of the lowered ride height!
I look forward to your report!

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Hello Everyone,

Suspension:
H&R Lowering Springs
Steeda Front Sway Bar
Steeda Rear Sway Bar
Steeda Strut Tower Bar

Performance:
Whipple Mega Intercooler

Appearance:
FENFAB ECU cover
Zeus 3D Rear Diffuser
Waido Front Splitter

Congratulations and welcome. Looks like you will be busy installing your parts list. Enjoy.

OP
domcard

domcard

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #15
So I have an update for everyone which will hopefully give a good laugh. Took my car into the dealership earlier this week to get the roof rack trim piece replaced as it is not sitting flush and making a whistle noise over 50 mph. They tried to replace that but that the new trim piece was doing the same thing as the old one. The service department told me that the roof on this car was not installed correctly from the factory and it's not even on both sides. Apparently it's contorted to some degree and causing everything to be slanted to one side. So now I have an appointment with the body shop at the dealership next week to take a look at this to determine if this can be fixed. If not the GM of the dealership said I will have to put a claim in with Ford Corporate to buy the vehicle back and then get me into a new one lmao. Love when you spend $61k on a brand new vehicle and the build quality is absolute shit lol. That would explain why the seats in the back are a complete rattle box. So long story short no parts are being installed until this is resolved as it's all falling under warranty. Until then my lovely collection of car parts will just be sitting in storage haha. Will keep everyone updated to these shenanigans.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
So I have an update for everyone which will hopefully give a good laugh. Took my car into the dealership earlier this week to get the roof rack trim piece replaced as it is not sitting flush and making a whistle noise over 50 mph. They tried to replace that but that the new trim piece was doing the same thing as the old one. The service department told me that the roof on this car was not installed correctly from the factory and it's not even on both sides. Apparently it's contorted to some degree and causing everything to be slanted to one side. So now I have an appointment with the body shop at the dealership next week to take a look at this to determine if this can be fixed. If not the GM of the dealership said I will have to put a claim in with Ford Corporate to buy the vehicle back and then get me into a new one lmao. Love when you spend $61k on a brand new vehicle and the build quality is absolute shit lol. That would explain why the seats in the back are a complete rattle box. So long story short no parts are being installed until this is resolved as it's all falling under warranty. Until then my lovely collection of car parts will just be sitting in storage haha. Will keep everyone updated to these shenanigans.
I noticed the same thing when I had the roof wrapped. The moldings were sticking up and I pointed that out to the shop that just completed the wrap. They showed me pictures of it before the wrap and it was that way when I brought it in. They removed the retaining brackets, heated them up and bent them down so that they conform to the roof. After doing that, they put some double sided tape in there and now the front of the rail pieces sit flush.

This is a common issue and really don't think it is a roof installation issue Could be wrong, but I think it is just badly made retaining brackets.

OP
domcard

domcard

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #17
I noticed the same thing when I had the roof wrapped. The moldings were sticking up and I pointed that out to the shop that just completed the wrap. They showed me pictures of it before the wrap and it was that way when I brought it in. They removed the retaining brackets, heated them up and bent them down so that they conform to the roof. After doing that, they put some double sided tape in there and now the front of the rail pieces sit flush.

This is a common issue and really don't think it is a roof installation issue Could be wrong, but I think it is just badly made retaining brackets.
I tried telling the dealership the same thing and they kept pushing me off to a warranty claim. I asked them to just glue the damn thing down and see if that fixed it. Honestly might try a different dealership as this one doesn't seem to know their dick from a violin haha.

OP
domcard

domcard

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #18
At a very minimum hopefully they can just fix the trim piece at the body shop and also figure out what is rattling on the captains chair in the back of the car. If they can get that situated for me I will be a very happy guy. Appointment tentatively set for 6/13 at the local performance shop to install the exhaust and rest of my goodies I have in storage right now so hoping next month will be a good one for this ST. On a side note I had some old guy stop me in the parking lot earlier today at 7-11 and tell me how nice my car was. Love when that happens!

OP
domcard

domcard

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #19
So sad to just see everything sitting here collecting dust ☹️ IMG_5166.jpeg

OP
domcard

domcard

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #20
Update: Just dropped my car off to the body shop this morning. They put me in another ST as a rental while my car is getting the trim fixed and seeing if they can fix all the rattles on the interior. Crossing my fingers they get everything fixed so I can start installing all my parts! Luckily the GM of the dealership is covering everything under warranty for me including the rental.