Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New (to me) 2020 ST

JMarr

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hello all,
Bought my ST a week ago and am blown away by the amazing features of this car (coming from a 2011 Pathfinder).
I've read a lot of the manual, but still have some features that are confusing me.

If anyone would like to educate me, please do. Otherwise, I'll keep searching through the many threads on this forum.

1) The touch door lock - what do I need to do, to enable this? I can touch the handle to unlock and that works fine. But when I am out of the car trying to touch to lock the car, it does not work. It seems to try and unlock again (rather than lock). I can only seem to lock my doors with the FOB. Am I missing something?

2) I popped my VIN into the Ford website and found that I don't have the latest version of Sync. I downloaded to a thumb drive and popped it into the USB port in the front slot (next to the USB C). Nothing happened. I don't see any options to 'initiate' the process of updating. Per the instructions, it seemed like just inserting the thumb drive would start the process (the thumb drive was empty, reformatted to Fat32, and all files are in the root directory). Any insight is appreciated.

3) Lastly - I saw a post that mentioned the latest software update included an audio update. Is that true? The 250htz spike in this B&O sounds system is driving me crazy. Does anyone know a way to EQ this system? Can Ford do that? I know I could use my phone and use that EQ to remove some of the low end mud, but it would be great if it was done for the entire system so I could listen to Sirius XM with a better EQ curve.

Thanks for reading!
- Jay

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Hello all,
Bought my ST a week ago and am blown away by the amazing features of this car (coming from a 2011 Pathfinder).
I've read a lot of the manual, but still have some features that are confusing me.

If anyone would like to educate me, please do. Otherwise, I'll keep searching through the many threads on this forum.

1) The touch door lock - what do I need to do, to enable this? I can touch the handle to unlock and that works fine. But when I am out of the car trying to touch to lock the car, it does not work. It seems to try and unlock again (rather than lock). I can only seem to lock my doors with the FOB. Am I missing something?

2) I popped my VIN into the Ford website and found that I don't have the latest version of Sync. I downloaded to a thumb drive and popped it into the USB port in the front slot (next to the USB C). Nothing happened. I don't see any options to 'initiate' the process of updating. Per the instructions, it seemed like just inserting the thumb drive would start the process (the thumb drive was empty, reformatted to Fat32, and all files are in the root directory). Any insight is appreciated.

3) Lastly - I saw a post that mentioned the latest software update included an audio update. Is that true? The 250htz spike in this B&O sounds system is driving me crazy. Does anyone know a way to EQ this system? Can Ford do that? I know I could use my phone and use that EQ to remove some of the low end mud, but it would be great if it was done for the entire system so I could listen to Sirius XM with a better EQ curve.

Thanks for reading!
- Jay
Congrats and welcome!

1. There should be a little lock symbol on the top of the handle towards the front. It's touch sensitive so just a quick tap will do the trick. The lock and unlock settings you can adjust as far as which doors unlock etc.

2. The sync update can be a pain. Make sure the files are in the fold the right way, etc. The instructions on the site walk you through how to unzip and have it all titled. Kind of a pain, doubt that any 'update' will be mind blowing for you. It took a couple tries for me to get mine to update the last time. Failed a couple times and then finally just left in plugged in on my drive home from office and it was able to get through it.

Good luck and welcome to the information surplus for this vehicle.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
1. Are you sure your touching the lock button and not the unlock button?

2. To update with a USB the ignition must be on. And it can talk a couple minutes for the update to start.

3. No audio update that I'm aware of.

Hope it works and if not keep asking. Good luck.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Hello all,

Thanks for reading!
- Jay
Welcome to the forum Jay and congratulations.

OP
J

JMarr

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
Thank you for the responses above!

1) Maybe this is user error and I'm touching the wrong part of the handle. Just looked at manual again and will give it another try later today.

2) Thanks for the tips. I'm certain I've got it formatted properly, but I'm going to try another USB stick to see if that helps. Good to know there is no major upgrade I'm missing at the moment.

3) Still curious if Ford has a way to update the system's EQ settings. Similar example - Harley Davidson radios come with a certain EQ curve that suits their factory speakers (which are low quality). If/when you update your speakers (and maybe add an Amp), you can have your Harley Radio flashed to be 'flat', and/or you can also have a shop pull up an RTA (on a computer that is connected to your radio) and tune using a 31 band EQ, to optimize for your speakers. Curious if Ford (or anyone else) has the ability to tap into the system and update the 'tuning' of the audio.

OP
J

JMarr

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
1 - User error. I wasn't touching the right spot.
2 - Attempt #2 worked fine. Software updated.
3 - Still hoping there is away to access the eq for the entire system and tune the audio better.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
1 - User error. I wasn't touching the right spot.
2 - Attempt #2 worked fine. Software updated.
3 - Still hoping there is away to access the eq for the entire system and tune the audio better.
2 out of 3 is a good start.

OP
J

JMarr

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
2 out of 3 is a good start.
Agreed! Thank you for the help.

I did read some threads about changing audio settings (set to stereo, fader almost all the way to front), and it improves the bass response (less 150-250htz mud). So like a 2.5 out of 3.

Solid help from this forum!

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Welcome and greetings.
1) Just would like to give my thoughts on this. I say to keep your key fob in the ST's center console at all times and use the keypad on the door to lock and unlock.

OP
J

JMarr

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #10
Welcome and greetings.
1) Just would like to give my thoughts on this. I say to keep your key fob in the ST's center console at all times and use the keypad on the door to lock and unlock.
Are there any seasons where this isn't a good idea? (below zero, etc.?)

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Hello all,

Thanks for reading!
- Jay
Welcome to the forum.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Are there any seasons where this isn't a good idea? (below zero, etc.?)
There was an issue getting the keypad to light up when it was very cold out, but another member on this forum suggested using your whole hand(palm) when it is cold outside and this did the trick. No problems since.

Reactions
Vehicle
20' Explorer ST
Hello all,

Thanks for reading!
- Jay
Welcome! I just snagged mine recently as well!

1) You can definitely lock the car and unlock it from the touch handle, theirs is a little lock on the hand towards the front of it. I usually have the fob in my pocket.
2) The Sync 3 updating is a nightmare in my experience. I just went through this. Lookup via VIN and download the USB, use a USB 3.0 & download the .rar file and extract it into the USB than insert into the car with it running (roughly 30-35 minutes it has to be on); Also make sure you disable 30min idle as well.
3) Unsure how to answer this part- but turning off "speed vol" in the settings is a good idea. I guess it'll get quieter when you drive, or slow down. I hated that. I also turned on surround vs Stereo. It sounds better via car-play.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Welcome! I just snagged mine recently as well!

1) You can definitely lock the car and unlock it from the touch handle, theirs is a little lock on the hand towards the front of it. I usually have the fob in my pocket.
2) The Sync 3 updating is a nightmare in my experience. I just went through this. Lookup via VIN and download the USB, use a USB 3.0 & download the .rar file and extract it into the USB than insert into the car with it running (roughly 30-35 minutes it has to be on); Also make sure you disable 30min idle as well.
3) Unsure how to answer this part- but turning off "speed vol" in the settings is a good idea. I guess it'll get quieter when you drive, or slow down. I hated that. I also turned on surround vs Stereo. It sounds better via car-play.
2. The vehicle does not need to be running to update. Just need to have the ignition on. I've done it that way a number of times.

Explorer ST Posts