Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New to me '20 Explorer ST

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hey! New to Ford. Ive recently purchased a used 2020 ST. Ive had many many vehicles but this is my 2nd Ford ever. 1st was a '78 thinderbird lol. Love this thing so far. Its a great mix of sport and luxury. Power like my Camry TRD and luxury like my Escalade. Bought it mainly as we needed with a third row for 3rd incoming memeber to the family. I plan to do a few upgrades when i can. Anything recommended? Right now i want an intake(leaning S&B), JL oil separater, CV intercooler, window and windshield tint, and a police style push bar. Any advice or tips for these things? Recommendations? I know there many opinions for everything but actual results are great. I will tune eventually. And wheels are on the list as well, but the Mrs said to wait lol. Thanks!

23 Explorer ST

Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Welcome! I’m new myself and to the Ford Explorer ST

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STFan

Administrator
Reactions
Welcome aboard

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Welcome to the forum.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Hey! New to Ford. Ive recently purchased a used 2020 ST. Ive had many many vehicles but this is my 2nd Ford ever. 1st was a '78 thinderbird lol. Love this thing so far. Its a great mix of sport and luxury. Power like my Camry TRD and luxury like my Escalade. Bought it mainly as we needed with a third row for 3rd incoming memeber to the family. I plan to do a few upgrades when i can. Anything recommended? Right now i want an intake(leaning S&B), JL oil separater, CV intercooler, window and windshield tint, and a police style push bar. Any advice or tips for these things? Recommendations? I know there many opinions for everything but actual results are great. I will tune eventually. And wheels are on the list as well, but the Mrs said to wait lol. Thanks!
Congrats and welcome to the forum.

It really depends on what you are doing with the ST. You mention upgrades that would imply that you are heading down the performance path. Are you looking to bang out a bunch of 0-60 times or power gains?

OP
F
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
Congrats and welcome to the forum.

It really depends on what you are doing with the ST. You mention upgrades that would imply that you are heading down the performance path. Are you looking to bang out a bunch of 0-60 times or power gains?
I think some added power and response would def make it more fun. I dont plan to romp on it super hard, not taking it to the track or strip. Just occasional spirited driving to work lol. Things like the intercooler and oil separater will help with long-term reliability by keeping clean and cool.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Without cold or hot side charge pipes, an intake is not worth it. Unless you are looking for maximum gains, save the money on the intake side. CVF intercooler is a great upgrade even on stock tune so highly recommend that. When you are ready, ZFG tune is the only way to go. Welcome!

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I think some added power and response would def make it more fun. I dont plan to romp on it super hard, not taking it to the track or strip. Just occasional spirited driving to work lol. Things like the intercooler and oil separater will help with long-term reliability by keeping clean and cool.
For sure. That's what our ST is for, daily driver with some spunk.

-Changing your intake and exhaust is purely aesthetics and sound for mild performance upgrades. No real enhancements for money spent.
-Oil separator is a good one.
-The intercooler will only benefit you if you plan on running it hard back like back to back spirited runs. Works well with a tune.
-A good tune, like ZFG, be your best bang for the buck performance wise even with no other upgrades.
-Lowering springs and beefed up sway bars will help with the cornering.

Take care of some of your personalization's to the looks of the ST and then get a tune. After that you are sure to add on some more stuff.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
For sure. That's what our ST is for, daily driver with some spunk.

-Changing your intake and exhaust is purely aesthetics and sound for mild performance upgrades. No real enhancements for money spent.
-Oil separator is a good one.
-The intercooler will only benefit you if you plan on running it hard back like back to back spirited runs. Works well with a tune.
-A good tune, like ZFG, be your best bang for the buck performance wise even with no other upgrades.
-Lowering springs and beefed up sway bars will help with the cornering.

Take care of some of your personalization's to the looks of the ST and then get a tune. After that you are sure to add on some more stuff.
I disagree with the intercooler part. The stock unit is extremely undersized and gets heat soaked even on longer trips let alone stepping on it once.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I disagree with the intercooler part. The stock unit is extremely undersized and gets heat soaked even on longer trips let alone stepping on it once.
Agreed on the heat soaking with the factory intercooler. Was just trying to prioritize some upgrades as I didn't notice any difference swapping out the intercooler before adding a tune. But then again, wasn't pushing it hard on daily driving.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Agreed on the heat soaking with the factory intercooler. Was just trying to prioritize some upgrades as I didn't notice any difference swapping out the intercooler before adding a tune. But then again, wasn't pushing it hard on daily driving.
I'll be doing the same, tossing on a Whipple before any other mods.
No heatsoaking and cooler intake temps (more surface area and all-aluminum plus bar and plate = better cooling efficiency) will provide some amount of better response (easier to prevent knock especially on lower grade gas, so you'll get more of your full power from stock)
Beyond that, it just sets you up for any mod, intake, charge pipes, down pipes, etc.

OP
F
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #12
Thanks all for the tips everyone! Intercooler(CV) and catch can ordered(JL). Ill wait on intake until i can do charge pipes and more. Now im eye balling a police style push bar from setina.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Thanks all for the tips everyone! Intercooler(CV) and catch can ordered(JL). Ill wait on intake until i can do charge pipes and more. Now im eye balling a police style push bar from setina.
I ordered the charge pipes today because they are on sale at Lethal Performance, or aFe's website. (I went to Lethal)
The push bar is definitely something that makes me think "hmm" :devilish:

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I ordered the charge pipes today because they are on sale at Lethal Performance, or aFe's website. (I went to Lethal)
The push bar is definitely something that makes me think "hmm" :devilish:
I was also looking at doing the push bar. I love the way the local county sheriff and GSP brush guards look on the newer Explorers. I have a few former work buddies that have the set up on their work Explorer, but I have a concern.. with having the brush guard that I want, its considered the "PIT bar." It has more bars, and wraps around the side a little more. So, with that being said, it looks like it's going to block the sensors up front. Is there a way to turn off the front sensors through the system of the ST, or through Forscan?

OP
F
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #15
I was also looking at doing the push bar. I love the way the local county sheriff and GSP brush guards look on the newer Explorers. I have a few former work buddies that have the set up on their work Explorer, but I have a concern.. with having the brush guard that I want, its considered the "PIT bar." It has more bars, and wraps around the side a little more. So, with that being said, it looks like it's going to block the sensors up front. Is there a way to turn off the front sensors through the system of the ST, or through Forscan?
There was another member on here who did push bar only and relocated the 2 sensors with a kit from westin. The kit was made for a GM truck but he got it to work. Tyats the route im gonna go. I dont want the wrap around, on the middle section. I dont believe the sensors can be turned off. Most "safety" features cannot be changed. I could be very wrong though..maybe others can chime in.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
There was another member on here who did push bar only and relocated the 2 sensors with a kit from westin. The kit was made for a GM truck but he got it to work. Tyats the route im gonna go. I dont want the wrap around, on the middle section. I dont believe the sensors can be turned off. Most "safety" features cannot be changed. I could be very wrong though..maybe others can chime in.
You can manually turn off the front sensors via the button next to the hazards button. I thought you could turn them off with forscan but could be wrong.

OP
F
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #17
is there a reason that ZFG is recommended over Cobb or other tuners? i see alot on ZFG, in previous life i know subaru...and cobb always seemed king there. Just curious. Thanks!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
is there a reason that ZFG is recommended over Cobb or other tuners? i see alot on ZFG, in previous life i know subaru...and cobb always seemed king there. Just curious. Thanks!
Agreed, like with Subarus and F150s Cobb was the way to go but ZFG has so much tuning time with these cars and knows them a lot better as of right now.

OP
F
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #19
Agreed, like with Subarus and F150s Cobb was the way to go but ZFG has so much tuning time with these cars and knows them a lot better as of right now.
Appreciate the help and insight. Got my catch can installed last night. Hoping to do intercooler soon, i have it, just need to install. Then tune. Thats probs it for a while for performace. One day exhaust will happen. But little one on the way, funds will shift a lil bit hahah.