Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New ST owner

Reactions
Hi all,
I've been lurking for a while, but finally picked up an Explorer ST.

I wanted a 2020 for the rear end bolt and the features that weren't deleted.

I picked up a used 2020 with only 20,800 miles. I also have a focus ST.

What are some good maintenance items I should do? I was going to change the oil soon.

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Congrats and welcome officially to the forum. Oil and maybe take a peak at the filters. Depending on your drive those things can get nasty.

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Hi all,

What are some good maintenance items I should do? I was going to change the oil soon.
Welcome to the forum

Reactions
MAke sure that your Ford dealer has done any of the recall items. They should have it on record for the VIN. It is all warranty stuff on the vehicle so it doesn't matter who the current owner is.

OP
jwuonog
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
MAke sure that your Ford dealer has done any of the recall items. They should have it on record for the VIN. It is all warranty stuff on the vehicle so it doesn't matter who the current owner is.
The only open recall is for the camera. My camera has been fine so far, so I will wait until I get the blue screen, if I ever do.

How do I get all my modules updated? Can I ask the dealer if there are any TSBs?

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The only open recall is for the camera. My camera has been fine so far, so I will wait until I get the blue screen, if I ever do.

How do I get all my modules updated? Can I ask the dealer if there are any TSBs?
I've seen where people have updated modules with Forscan. I have no experience using it so I can't help there. For a TSB you can sure ask your dealer if there are any that apply to your ST. There may be a charge as a TSB is not the same as a recall.

Reactions
I had a few gitches with a numer of items besides the rear camera and catalytic weld. My dealer service manager also checked the TSB items that were lengthy and fixed those as well at no charge as everything was still under warranty. Only hassle is to have to leave the St for a few hours to review and check every item so that parts can be ordered under warranty in order to get reimbursed from Ford. When approved by Ford and parts arrive weks later, all is repaired. For Ford, accounting is Job One, not quality of production.

OP
jwuonog
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
Sorry for blurry photo, here are the matching STs! (yes, that is a Thermal on the Focus)

1676871536958.png

1676871550991.png

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Any idea when your 2020 was built? Hopefully not an early build.

As far as TSBs and module updates, the dealer will NOT just perform those unless it is to address a problem that you have identified.

I'd check for 4 of the biggest problems with 2020s: cracked welds of the catalytic converter pipe (downpipe), torn boots of the front axles, transmission cooler oil leak, and front axle hub actuator oil leaks.

Your bumper to bumper warranty is likely over soon. I'd definitely have the car looked over very carefully. Drive the car and note any powertrain issues. Any thoughts on extended warranty?

OP
jwuonog
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
Any idea when your 2020 was built? Hopefully not an early build.

As far as TSBs and module updates, the dealer will NOT just perform those unless it is to address a problem that you have identified.

I'd check for 4 of the biggest problems with 2020s: cracked welds of the catalytic converter pipe (downpipe), torn boots of the front axles, transmission cooler oil leak, and front axle hub actuator oil leaks.

Your bumper to bumper warranty is likely over soon. I'd definitely have the car looked over very carefully. Drive the car and note any powertrain issues. Any thoughts on extended warranty?
It is a B build. I think it was built somewhere in mid 2020.

I will take a look for those issues. I crawled under the car before I bought it, exhaust looked good and sounds fine. The undertray was on, so I wasn't able to check for leaks.

Is there any way to see what TSBs apply to my car?

How do I go about getting an extended warranty?

Last edited:

njtta150

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford
Google Granger Ford extended warranty,cheapest I have seen. Even better than Zeigler with discount.

Sent from my SM-T307U using Tapatalk

OP
jwuonog
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
PXL_20230220_193644591~2.jpg PXL_20230220_193618260~2.jpg PXL_20230220_193608465~2.jpg PXL_20230220_193457261~2.jpg PXL_20230220_193521463~2.jpg

OP
jwuonog
Reactions
Thread Starter #14
For Ford Extended Warranty, check out https://www.floodfordesp.com/
Thanks for posting this. I ended up purchasing a plan for 6 years/75k miles. Since it's a 2020, it's almost already 3 years since initial purchase. I plan to mod by then anyway, so it'll be fine if the warranty expires at 75k miles.

Bdusell

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thanks for posting this. I ended up purchasing a plan for 6 years/75k miles. Since it's a 2020, it's almost already 3 years since initial purchase. I plan to mod by then anyway, so it'll be fine if the warranty expires at 75k miles.
What was the orignal purchase date of yours? I have a 2020 also, originally purchased by a previous owner in Aug. 2019. When I bought mine used in Sept. ‘22 they sold me some 3rd party Allstate Premier Care extended warranty that I’ve found to be pretty crappy as it seems to not cover more things than it actually does cover ie “trim” and my water holding tail light.
I looked at flood Ford just now
but when I enter the original purchase date from the original owner it says it has to still be under factory warranty to purchase the ESP from them and to check with my dealer. I would like to get an extended warranty that’s actually worth something and a good warranty. Any help is appreciated.

Bdusell

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Hi all,

One of the first things I did was purchase and install an oil catch can. It’s a very simple install.
Hi all,

One of the first things I purchased and installed was an oil catch can. Easy to install yourself. There’s plenty to choose from but I went with the J&L can, seemed to be one of the more popular ones and it definitely works. Here’s a link just for example. Some sites are running Presidents Day sales right now fyi.
https://www.lethalperformance.com/j...ized-2020-ford-explorer-3-0l-ecoboost-st.html

OP
jwuonog
Reactions
Thread Starter #17
What was the orignal purchase date of yours? I have a 2020 also, originally purchased by a previous owner in Aug. 2019. When I bought mine used in Sept. ‘22 they sold me some 3rd party Allstate Premier Care extended warranty that I’ve found to be pretty crappy as it seems to not cover more things than it actually does cover ie “trim” and my water holding tail light.
I looked at flood Ford just now
but when I enter the original purchase date from the original owner it says it has to still be under factory warranty to purchase the ESP from them and to check with my dealer. I would like to get an extended warranty that’s actually worth something and a good warranty. Any help is appreciated.
Mine was first purchased in May of 2020. My order is still processing, so we will see if it goes through...

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Hi all,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations.

OP
jwuonog
Reactions
Thread Starter #20
Mine was first purchased in May of 2020. My order is still processing, so we will see if it goes through...
I now have extended premium care! It goes to 2026 or 75k miles. I'll probably want to start modding before then.

Also, I think my driver side rear shock might be blown. It failed my state inspection today. They found oil/gunk caked all over the housing.

The dealer was fortunately willing to replace it under their used car warranty and give a loaner.

Unfortunately the dealer is 2 hours away, and the loaner (EcoSport) doesn't have massage seats