Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New ST owner / first turbo'd vehicle

Sniklefritz

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Hey all, recently purchased a 21 ST and am absolutely amazed how much I like it. Upgraded from a 13 Tacoma that was great but too small for a family. New to turbos so I will most likely ask related questions about them down the line. Any recommendations on a preferred first upgrade? Thinking exhaust but having trouble deciding between the Thermal R&D and the Borla ATAK.
20240127_160603.jpg

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Congrats and enjoy!

Intercooler and exhaust to suit your ear. I like the thermal.

Lowering springs if you like the look.
Wheels, sway bar, end links, subframe bushing kit, etc. the list can be long if you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Welcome to the forum. Another thumbs up for Thermal.

Last edited:

STFan

Administrator
Reactions
Welcome aboard

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Welcome to the forum.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Hey all, recently purchased a 21 ST and am absolutely amazed how much I like it. Upgraded from a 13 Tacoma that was great but too small for a family. New to turbos so I will most likely ask related questions about them down the line. Any recommendations on a preferred first upgrade? Thinking exhaust but having trouble deciding between the Thermal R&D and the Borla ATAK.
View attachment 21684
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum..

On mods, it depends on what direction you wan to head in. Performance, looks?

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Welcome and congrats on the color choice!

Madisonville ST

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Welcome

OP
S

Sniklefritz

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum..

On mods, it depends on what direction you wan to head in. Performance, looks?
I know I won't have the funds to go all out despite the potential I have seen in these. But I want to make it sound good, lower it and give it a little more power than stock.

L33der

Reactions
Vehicle
17 Explorer, 20 Transit, 24 F150, 25 Explorer ST
I'll be going with the Thermal R&D 3" Exhaust. It is the only true 3" Cat-Back system that includes a new 3" front flex pipe. I think it sounds the best too compared to Borla S-Type and ATAK, which is a little raspy. Also, an upgraded Intercooler is a good choice if you want cool charge temps after a few pulls at WOT. Here is a spreadsheet @Toadster made comparing the different Intercooler options. With these mods and a Factory Tune, you won't get much more power, but you will have better temps and fuel economy, plus it sounds bad ass! Add a tune and you can easily achieve 100+ HP, but there goes your warranty if you have a "By the Book" Svc Dept. Also, a good CAI would be a nice addition if funds allow. You can really go down the Rabbit hole on these.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I know I won't have the funds to go all out despite the potential I have seen in these. But I want to make it sound good, lower it and give it a little more power than stock.
An exhaust system of your choosing, lowering springs and tune a few thousand. There is a lot of information on this forum that can help you pick the items you prefer.